Logo

Marinizing a diesel engine

S

s.shaw

is it possible to marinize a

is it possible to marinize a standard lorry engine

" Yes it is possible, but it i

" Yes it is possible, but it is a heap of work, you are better off to marinize an industrial engine as these usually have govenors already installed.
The alternative is to find a motor that is available as a marine engine and buy the marine bits, heat exchanger, govenor, etc.
Anything is possible but frequently not worth the cost to create an orphan.
I guess you are from the UK. (Lorry is so English).
Cheers Claus in New Zealand. "

I have a SD25 Nissan Deisel th

I have a SD25 Nissan Deisel that is almost converted to marine use for a 36" Cape George Sailboat . I've just aquired this setup and i'm not sure what I have or where i can buy a manual and parts for this orphan .

I believe Nissan makes a marine diesel. and other marine engine brands like Volvo or Mercruiser may marinize them.The difference is that the automotive engine turns LH and standard marine turn RH so getting a reverse gear/ reduction gear for it must consider that. some Hydraulic gears are reversible with minor part changes. Also automotive gaskets often have carbon in them and it promotes electrolytic corrosion. I am not aware that it would need a governor unless it is for a gen set. A heat exchanger would be desirable but It could be raw water cooled. [much reduced engine life]. there are other technical differences in tuneing torque etc. But the engine should be usable.

t

Back