Logo

Question about 327 Gray Marines

1... Is the 327 Gray Marine the same engine as a Chevy 327?

2... Will Chevy tune-up parts fit on the Gray Marine?
1... It is a Chevy 327, but with a slightly different build if it had been done properly in the first place.

2... Typically speaking, and if you are refering to automotive parts....., NO.
The Ignition distributor will be Marine specific and the carburetor will be Marine specific.

Ricardo, I'm not sure what Chevy marine conversion you have?

I have 3 or 4 of the 327 Graymarine engines and they definately are not a Chevy engine. It is an AMC/Rambler and no Chevy parts marine or automotive will interchange.

Last edited:
Dussche,
Here is a pic of one of my Gray 327's...

Thundercraft.jpg

the center bolt valve covers? Is this like yours?

A small block Chevy valve cover has 4 bolts on the lower lip, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom.

Always_Looking, I had completely forgotten that the AMC 327 cu in engine may have been used.

I'd still maintain that automotive tune-up parts would not be used.

Since you own one of these, could you offer these tune-up p/n's to Dusschee?

Last edited:
The Grey Marine 327 is NOT a Chev motor although it does have some GM external parts used to make it simpler to find. It is a Nash and American Motors Gen I design also used in big Jeeps (J100, J200, JX000) in the '60s until they used Buick motors. The cap and rotor are the same as points style GM (as is the upper part of the distributor) but you want Marine Certified parts to keep out of trouble with Coast Guard if you play in the salt chuck. The points and condenser are available in 2 styles, but the correct spark plugs are not the same as Chev. Many parts are the same as the 327 in my old '66 Jeep pickup, including engine internals.
Many autoparts stores (like the NAPA where I work) sell both regular and Sierra Marine Equipment tune up parts. Using the reverse look up feature of the Echlin parts, you can get the SME part numbers.

Back