Logo

Sounder help

constablechris

Contributing Member
Hi Gents,

A bit off the wall here and I hope you can help.

I live in Australia and am looking to buy a Humminbird 788 sounder/chartplotter from the US, as the price in the Us is half of the Aus cost,

Problem is the Humminbird sites all say the US model only displays in imperial, so feet and celcius I think and mph. This is not particularly useful to me in a metric land.

Has anyone got a relatively new Humminbird of about that size or bigger? If so can you look in the settings and see if there is an option to set the unit to metric? I would greatly appreciate it if you would. My old Humminbird from the US was capable of the change but I havent seen a new one to know myself

Other wise I might have to go to a Lowrance 7 series not a bad option but I have had service issues with my Lowrance previously and dont want that problem again.

Any one got any other suggestions for a unit up to about 1k with a transducer that they like? I can get a 788 for about 800.00 adn the 7 for about 1k Anyone know of a good reliable dealer as well? i have used a couple but wouldnt mind more suggesgtions.

Regards

Chris

Last edited:
Chris - Most of these manufacturers have owner/operator manuals available online and allow a free download. If there is a method for changing Imperial to metric settings, it will be in the manual. Can't help you on your other questions, since I've been using Garmin almost exclusively.

Sorry for the late reply I was off line.

Thanks for the info. Although I would like a Humminbird they are too pricey here so I am looking for a Garmin Now. I see a Garmin 526s combo with a transducer whichhas worldwide map and I htink I can link it into my motor and the Garmin 10 motor amnagement system so that looks like the go to me.

Anyone got any thoughts? How does your set up go CHawk?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris I live in Canada and we are all metric up here. I run 2 Garmin and a Lawrence and far prefer them over the Hummingbird that came with the last boat I bought, so I swapped it out to my old boat when I sold it, but that is just personal preference. The sounders I use now I can program either way. I can`t say if it was possible with the Hummingbird or not but anything sold into Canada will be metric. You can find manuals for any of these on line and none of them are produced in Canada so they should all be metric programmable.

Back