Logo

Boat still down...Tired very much so

Thanks Noel I put it all back together today and guess what happened don't get excited !!!!!!!!It's doing the same thing but I did learn alot from the tear down and I remebered how everything went back together.So it's not a total loss.Going to give father-in-law bad news he's just got to get another unit or take a chance ordering alot of parts.But anyway thanks alot for all the help.

Hey not sure about what they where talking about Noel but I ordered a L/U off ebay yesterday and it got here today go figure I'm going to try it out tomorrow I hope it works.Funny thing though I put it in gear F-N-R and turned the drive shaft CW and prop turned the same direction is that right?Well if it is my other one was doing that but when it was on boat you could shift and only get it to go in forward gear hince all the trouble.

The morning after the night before:D.When you turn the drive shaft CW and prop turns same direction,that should be FWD,prop locks one direction and ratchets the other way.Shift to reverse and when the Dr shaft is turned CW,the prop goes CCW,Rev,and locks both ways. I had to go to the garage to check it out.Brain not firing on all four this morning/afternoon:D Pity you 're on the other side of the Atlantic,'cause I have a lower unit of a mid '70's 650 with a 1.64:1 ratio.I had it on my beautiful Merc800,until I got an '84 lwr of a 75HP from Canada.P&P was more than the unit.

Well the L/U I got off ebay is doing the same thing the old one is doing prop turns same direction when in F or R I contacted the guy he said it did fine before he pulled it from a running engineI just dont see how because I look at things as being simple the control lever moves a shaft which moves the shift shaft from one location to another to active the right gear you want to be in so wither it is on or off the engine the L/U should act the same when the drive shaft is turned(CW) just like it is when it is in the engine and the shift shaft is moved from one direction to the other the prop SHOULD respond like it would if connected to the engine it should lock in that gear and turn differant direction in order to move the boat forward or backward I just dont get how he is saying it works fine and I hadnt even tryed to install yet.

It will not turn in a 360 it will go just so far CCW and just so far CW its turned cold here and to me 40 is cold I really dont feel like going to father-in-laws to get boat to bring it down move stuff around in my garage to fit it in but its suppose to get warmer near end of week I'll try it then I did go out about a hr ago and turn the drive shaft real slow and moved the shift shaft very slow and before it made a big click the prop did lock and prop went other way and locked so I guess the new one I was turning too far CCW.

Hi mitch-houser,I think I'm going to make a fool of myself,again,but here goes. I went back over all your posts about this motor and the number you give is for a mid '70's. So here's what I read somewhere,maybe even on this forum,http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?396386-1975-50hp-thunderbolt ,that these motors need to be running to shift into reverse. Not sure if that is true or not,and I'm damm sure someone will be on top of me very shortly to correct me.It is not logical,and I think along the same lines,if you shift the lwr unit into reverse while it's off the motor then it should turn the prop shaft CCW while the drive shaft is turning CW.It does on the spare I have in my garage,but that is of a different engine,a 650. This is the number you posted,1968 Mercury 50hp s/n 4043524 ,and it is still the same motor? '67 -'75 number range compliments of TMD
500 (50,0) 2097445 - 2305100 1967 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 2305101 - 2514918 1968 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 2514919 - 2736806 1969 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 2736807 - 3008818 1970 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 3008819 - 3235062 1971 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 3235063 - 3478002 1972 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 9001581 - 9006163 1972 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 3478003 - 3816307 1973 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 9006164 - 9047653 1973 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 3816308 - 4140999 1974 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 9047654 - 9082513 1974 4 cyl
500 (50,0) 4141000 - 4357639 1975 4 cyl
So can you get someone to turn the prop CCW while you turn the the shifter CCW from the N position? And good job no one will be able to see my face when I get laughed out of it.:D:eek::D

Last edited:
Hey Noel your right thats the number I gave and it is a 1968 but that number I found out later was not for that engine the number for that engineis a 200something I can look it back up if you need it.Well I did get the new L/U unit to change prop direction when I put it in R and it is a very slight movement out of N that makes it work if I go to far it will lock but the prop will move like its in F tryed it on old one never could make it hit right so now just waiting on Mr. sunshine to warm things back into the 50's and no wind and should be good to go.i know I'll pull my hair out trying to get the cables to just barly move the shift shaft slightly when going into R.Cross your fingers

Hello all,The L/U is back on and working almost I've adjusted the cable at the back as much as I can.I can it will go into R but it 's not holding if you push the bracket that hold the shift line down to the shaft shifter it will hold.Can there be just alittle more adjustment up front at the lever?I just need alittle more presure and thats it.This is the L/U I got off EBAY and it is very tight as far as shifting once in F your fine then nice click to N but if you go too far trying to get in R it will act like its forward so I got the shifting part good I need little more presure on lever.

Hello all,The L/U is back on and working almost I've adjusted the cable at the back as much as I can.I can it will go into R but it 's not holding if you push the bracket that hold the shift line down to the shaft shifter it will hold.Can there be just alittle more adjustment up front at the lever?I just need alittle more presure and thats it.This is the L/U I got off EBAY and it is very tight as far as shifting once in F your fine then nice click to N but if you go too far trying to get in R it will act like its forward so I got the shifting part good I need little more presure on lever.

Hi mitch_houser,
There's no adjustment at the control box.New cable needed.Or,more work for you:),drop the lower unit,again,put it in reverse.With the cable disconnected,move the shift shaft to the rev position.This is where you need help,put the lower unit back on,with your help keeping the shift shaft one spline to the fwd.Now see if you can move through the gears before you connect the cable.Now adjust the cable accordingly.

Noel if I have to drop that L/U again I'll just have to shoot myself.Can't you just say theres no way to fix it at all take to junk yard?Like Elmer Fudd says OOOOOOOOOO I hate that L/U.Ok I'll give that a try at this point really what do I have to loose.

Number 39 is the likely culprit.Those points wear and watch that wee detent roller.If kimcrwbr1 is right and it is the control,please,please,please don't get on a 'plane and come over here and shoot me Elmer Fudd:D:D:D. Here's a couple of pics on what to expect when you open your control box,assuming it's a Merccontrol. #39 is behind the cam plate in pic #2 E is the roller that can spring out and disappear

Attachments

• sfift cam.jpg
    sfift cam.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 397
  • Photo0394.jpg
    Photo0394.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 323
Thanks Kim and Noel I'll try to take another look at this mess next week.I really wish he would say I'm going to take it to the scrape yard.And let me off the hook.couple days ago when I got the other L/U on and was going through the cable adjustment.I told him to put it in F and just to push it far enough to get it in gear.Ilooked up at the shifter and he had put it so far down I almost had a crap fit I told him this is proberly why he's having all his problems its not suppose to be pushed down that far.Oh my you guys just don't know what I'm dealing with.

Well I dont know about the extra gear box the original L/U off the boat you could never get it to make the prop move in CCW direction.But I did have the cables off and trying to shift them while off they did bind up not the throttle cable but the shift cable did it would bind up and have to push it in to get it to let loose.So how much more money does this pit need to be feed you think?

Well your right about one thing for sure I'm in way to deep now.You guys on here are super for all the info you give out.I can say that forums are the one good thing and I can find things cheap on the internet so those are things its good for.

Back