Logo

old evinrude water pumping

lordy75

hi,i have an old 5.5 fisherman that needs to be reved hard to get it to start pumping water ,once its pumping it pumps well till you stop again and have to rev it hard again does it mean my water pump is bad or the impeller maybe ,any help greatly appreciated

You need at least a new impeller.------------------Powerhead needs to be pulled in order to disconnect the shift rod.--------------Not hard to do at all.----------------It must be done or you will ruin a nice fishing motor !!

Thanks racer one ,is this something that a person of basic outboard knowledge could achieve or should i send it to a pro cheers lordy75.

Also, make sure you get another powerhead to exhaust gasket and a new crankcase gasket for your motor. They are maybe $5 each. The crankcase gasket will ensure that you get another 50 years out of that motor or just a couple of years, depending on whether you think the motor it is worth another $5.

The crankcase gasket is BRP#313065 or Sierra 18-2892 and depending on whether you have a T-stat on your model (you should identify the model and/or year of manufacture when you post questions) the powerhead gasket is BRP#313065 or Sierra 18-2901 and if no T-Stat it is BRP#304314 or Sierra 18-2894.

Another point. When you raise up the lower unit (after a new water pump is installed) make sure you manually guide the copper water tube into the water pump. It doesn't exactly align on its own. You can verify this after by shining a flashlight down the leg before you put the powerhead back on to see that it is properly inserted.

Thank you all for your help and knowledge ,the impeller was in pieces ,so i replaced with a new one and took optsyeagles advice and added the exhaust and crankcase gaskets. pulled on the starter and she pumped water like it was going out of fashion problem solved and i even learned something ,its a 1963 model by the way,once again thankyou all

Back