Logo

Excess fuel and running rich on 350 chevy TBI

Cmagski

My 2000 PCM 350 Chevy has a really strong fuel smell that I have noticed recently. I have done a tune up replaced all spark plugs, and old ones seemed like excessively wet with unburned fuel. I replaced all wires and cap and rotor as well. It is throttle body Injection and has not had any problems running, just concerned about fumes and possible health risks for co2.

Thanks, both of you for the reply, I havent changed the fuel filter so I will start there, but how is the pressure regulator checked? Check that too?

With the Key ON engine OFF, fuel pressure should be (27-33 psi). If the pressure is too low, poor
performance or a no-start may result. If pressure is too high, excessive odor and excessive fuel may result.

Does your Regulator have a vacuum line on it? Remove the line while the engine is running and see if fuel is coming out of the regulator vacuum nipple.

Chris,

Where is this fuel regulator located and what does it look like? How can I tell what the pressure is? Do I need a special tool or gauge and where do I attach it to. Sorry this is all new to me.

Thanks

I am fine mechanically, do all my own maintenence, but have only a little experience with the fuel delivery system. Could I ask you for a few more tips?

You will need to pick up a fuel pressure gauge. Sears has a decent one that is in expensive. You will need to find the schrader valve on the high pressure fuel line and attach the gauge to get your fuel pressure reading.

Back