Logo

Minn Kota steering problem

Backdoorz

I have a 2003 Minn Kota AP/65 24v. The foot control wire is ~18 ft. I have a problem with the steering. I put the unit in the water. I hook everything up, power supply, foot control cable. When I try to turn the motor to the right, it works most of the time. When I turn it to the left, it starts turning and will not stop. I have to unplug the power to get it to stop. I have looked inside the foot control and am familar with the way it works. I have even taken the foot control apart while I was having this problem and pressed the contacts that makes the motor turn and it did the same thing. I took the acuator board off (small plastic board with 4 contacts) at home and attempted to adjust it so as not to have the board pressing on the contacts all the time and still no luck. By the way, the motor itself runs fine. The batteries are fully charged. ALL wires, including the power and foot control plugs, have been thoroughly cleaned and checked for breakage.

My first response is to replace the foot control pedal. I know that you can replace some of the internals of the pedal, but by the time you replace most of those components, you can just about purchase a new pedal. Are there any sensors, relays, etc. located elswhere, that could be faulty? Like maybe on the motor that turns the shaft, that could cause this problem?

Any thoughts, help, ideas, or solutions will be appreciated.

Bob

Back