Logo

Changing the oil pan gasket on a 2715e

grahamdouglass

I am leaking oil from my oil pan gasket. Is it a very big job to just drop the oil pan and re&re the gasket. Are there any " gremlins " that might ruin my day? I have about 8" below the
oil pan to work with interms of vertical space. It is quite tight with respect to the bulkheads that surround the area below the engine. I can get a ratchet to all the bolts. What type of gasket sealent do guys on this forum recommend ?

Graham,
are you sure the rocker cover or lift pump gaskets aren't leaking?? Is it possible you have more than 13 quarts of oil in the sump ??
It takes two people to remove the sump and carefully install it. If you decide to go that route i will tellyou the proceedure if you do not have a manual.
Charlie w

I completely cleaned the bilge and laid new absorbant pads. I then ran the engine for about 45 min. There was only one new oil stain on the absorbant pad. I then felt direct above this and felt a oil drip. It was by one of the bolts that is holding on the oil pan. I am going to clean the out side of the engine again and repeat this procedure till I am sure. Does this make sense?

Graham,
i would find the leak just as you are doing.
You didn,t mention the locatoin of the bolt , such as port or starboard side, fore or aft and what is right above it ??
Do you have a lehman conversion ??
Charlie w

Back