Logo

stuffing box

Hi
wanted to get some advise from seasoned boaters with these stuffing boxes, I just purchased a 43 foot boat with these and they are dripping more than I have read that they should.
Questions, I read that while not moving they should not drip?
mine do drip about 6-10 drips/ minute
should they drip about 3 drips per minute while underway?

and what is good packing material to use?

Thank you all, Pierre

Pierre,

Strong recommendation on the Gore packing material, it hardly drips and seems to last a long time. You can tighten the packing nut or at least try before re-packing. Just a little bit and then check again, repeat. If you go too far there's no going back once it's over compressed.

As far as how much, generally no drips when stationary so you should do something. I think mine probably drips 2 times a minute if that but as I mentioned the gore packing hardly drips. I would verify the temp with an IR gun when you're done regardless to make sure it's not running hot. When it's all good, my stuffing box/shaft are just slightly hotter than the water temp.

Bob

Most think a drop a minute is fine to go with. Just try to loosen the lock nut and slightly adjust the packing so the drip slows down some, before you get into replacing the packing. The packing varies in width,and comes in rolls and is usually sold by the foot. You'll have to check to see what size your using before you try to buy it. If you do have to replace you can get back on and ask and one of us will tell you the procedure that were most comfortable with.

Drip rate isn't as important as how hot the stuffing box gets, while underway. The IR temp gun is the ideal tool for this. The idea with the 'drips occuring' is a visual way to determine if water enters the gap between the packing and the shaft to cool the assembly.

It is very possible to have a 'cool' stuffing box with NO drips occurring (ideal situation).

As far as material, a teflon impregnated flax or the newer carbon based stuff is best. Size will be determined by whoever made your stuffing box. Unfortunately, there is no 'standard' used by the foundries. Many are common in size (based on shaft OD) but NOT all.

I recently did my stuffing boxes, what I found was two different sizes flax were used by the previous owner. My shafts are 1.5, I used GFO 1/4", I ordered 3 packs for $44, still have some left over. I have no leaking when at dock or idle. Temps run about 5 degrees warmer than the water, here that is about 85F. I also did the rudder shafts and the flax sizes used there were smaller, but do not remember the exact size now.

The danger is excessive shaft wear, pitting, lack of water, etc. I did mine more to examine the conditions of the shafts.

Back