Logo

1973 Chrysler 45HP won't start.

Jim Dean

I just purchased this motor and boat combo. I have no idea of it's history.
I was able to get it started a few times but now not at all.
It appears to have good spark and fuel. I can't get it to turn over with starting fluid/ carb cleaner.
I have not checked compression yet but it feels like there is enough.
Any ideas?

The 2 cylinder will start and run on 1 cylinder.Not real good but will run.
Do the comp test.Post the results.It can be bad enough to make it not start too.
Start by checking the fuel for water.Then clean the carb.Ethanol is messing with older hoses.
It can make them soft and delaminate the inside of the hose.
You check the spark on both?Clean the plugs.
If the comp and spark is good.Go to the fuel pump and any filters.J

OK... Checked the compression. Both cylinders are reading 100 on #1 and 105 on #2.
all signs appear to be good with compression.

I cleaned the carburator and checked for spark on both cylinders.
Both cylinders had spark and I am not sure if I messed up the carb. Everything seems ok. I do see some old hoses not sure if these may be the cause. But it did run a couple of times before any work was done. Then stoppedall signs of life. All work began afterwords. I checked the diaphram of the fuel pump.. It looked good . But I did not venture into the cap where I think there are filters. I did not think it was fuel related because it. has fresh gas... and I can not start it with carb cleaner/starting fluid.

The comp should be closer to 150-155 with a good guage.
Get another and compare.
Spark test?
What ignition? Points?
Possible points corroded.Test spark and post results.J

The engine is a Chrysler 455HF. I don't know how to do a true spark test. I just pulled the plugs and used the case. Spark was apparent on both leads. Is there a correct way and an incorrect way to do a compression test. I actually pull started for the compression test. Probably not good.

If the spark is good.The compression good and fuel ok then it should start.
Have electric start?? Then do the comp test with the starter.
A pull cord is good on small outboard not the bigger ones.
Start with setting the float in the carb .Then the fuel system.
Check the flywheel key.See if it's sheared.
tell me the comp.J

If the spark is good.The compression good and fuel ok then it should start.<BR>Have electric start?? Then do the comp test with the starter.<BR>A pull cord is good on small outboard not the bigger ones.<BR>Start with setting the float in the carb .Then the fuel system.<BR>Check the flywheel key.See if it's sheared.<BR>tell me the comp.J

Ok... I have some very interesting news. It appears that the woodruff key is sheared.
I pulled the flywheel was a little nervous with what I saw. The woodruff key appears to operate a cam type bushing for the ignition as well as secure the flywheel. I am not sure were to get a key, but it is my top priority. i will post results after replacing. Thanks again for your active participation. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. :)

Back