Logo

need a few more mph

joshr0886

I have a 16ft duracraft with a 30hp tohatsu four stroke. My boat has a concole front and back deck so its a tad heavy. I fish local tournaments and me and my partner started winning, well the honeyhole location is out lol. Now i have a guy beating me to my hole and hes winning. I need to get a few more mph's out of this motor. Ive heard there are jet kits but i cant find them on the web. I have a stainless prop on it not sure what pitch. Anyone know of ways to get more speed out of this motor???????

Hi! More Speed. I too had the same question! You really need to know what your dealing with here. 1. You must know the size and pitch of your prop (Speed or power) 2. How quicly it plains out. 3. Motor transm angle etc.. 3. Fuel tank size vs. fuel weight. You realy need to do your homework here. Hope this helps some StarGazerI

The most important piece of info you need to find out is what RPM's you're running at wide open throttle. If your current prop is not allowing the motor to reach the max RPM range, then you're not getting the max h.p. out of your motor. So first thing you need to do is get a tach hooked up to it and see what you're turning. After that, you can determine if your prop needs to be changed, etc.

star and tguy are right on the mark. BTW, Your prop should have a number on it to indicate pitch.

And, another BTW, a jet kit will dramatically reduce the HP output. For example, 50 TLDI motors rate 35 HP when in jet dress. So that is not your option.

Back