Logo

;)hello everyone i am new here. i just took on a project boat for a hobby motor is new. almost finished.boat was sunk so i am replacing everything. i have a chrysler counter rotating(right hand) single engine.the alternator is a mando.but i cant find any numbers on it.i saw replacements but don't knoe wheather to get a 65 amp ar a 100 amp or better. whats the difference.heard bad things about 1 wire not producing juice with excessive idleing, with all the manitee zones ill be going slow LOTS. i would like some help please the alt has a single v belt and is set up similar to 318 any pictures and or advice would be awesome....thanks....happy boating:cool:my email is [email protected]

A good new alternator for your application would be a 61-amp ARCO 40112. It is an exact replacement for your old Chrysler (Prestolite) alternator but it is internally regulated so you'll be able to remove the old external regulator. It makes a single wire connection to your battery/starter circuit. This alternator comes with a pulley for a single v-belt.

I have never had a problem with either of my ARCO 40112s producing more than enough current at an idle to support my electronics even for very long no-wake zones.

I'm not sure why you would want a 100-amp alternator especially since you may have difficulty finding one that has the same physical dimensions and mounting footprint as your original Presolite. A 100-amp unit won't provide any more current at an idle than the ARCO 61-amp unit will. You would have to have some substantial electrical loads on board your boat to dissipate 1,200 watts, which is what you'd have with a 100-amp alternator.

Bill

I upgraded one of my alternators to 100 amps, and I would not do it again. THe stock output is enough, and the Vee-belt drive will last longer. (A dual belt drive is needed for prolonged, 100 amp charging.)

My one wires tend to 'drop out' after prolonged idling, but a blip of the throttle brings them right back. Still, if you're stuck with endless no wake running, you might go with conventional ones instead.

Jeff

thanks jeff all you people are very helpfull to me i have a mando alternator in the craft now and it sunk so im replacing everything instead of rebuilding(salt never sleeps) i know it has more than one wire but cant find any numbers on it any suggestions of where to look if not ill try to dig up a pic of the unit...thanks so much 4 your help this is truly the best forum around...

Back