Logo

Johnson 6 HP head torque

mtnmike

Hey Guys,

I'm replacing the head gasket on a 1966 Johnson 5 HP LD-11C, what is the torque value for the head bolts, sequence, and what about any type of gasket sealer? Thanks for your help. Mike

mike,
my manual says to use omc gasket sealing compound-my manual gives torque values by bolt diameter only-#6= 7-10 in.-lb,#8=15-22 in.lbs.#10=25-35 in.lbs.#12=35-40 in.lbs.1/4in.=5-7 ft.lbs,5/16=10-12 ft.lbs.,3/8=18-20ft.lbs.,7/16=28-30ft.lbs.-hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. These are quarter inch and I believe that 5 to 7 foot lbs sounds right.

I made an error, this is a 1966 5 HP engine, LD-11C.

There seems to be a debate regarding the old gaskets and the new gaskets. One says use gasket sealer and the other says not. I also read to never use the typical high temp copper-kote gasket sealer on aluminum.

My new gasket has a copper a compression ring around each cylinder bore. Any other comments on gasket sealer, please post. Thanks Mike

Last edited:
mike,
i am new (some what) to outboards but i have made my living repairing auto engines-a copper compression ring is is a plus but it assumes both head & block are on a 90 degree plane-sometimes not true-i always use permatex aviation gasket sealer on any surface including aluminum and it's never failed or created a problem- it remains pliable and can be removed-never use a hardening type sealer it sets up like concrete,can crack and cause leaks

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to use a non hardening type of gasket sealer.

I think this argument stems from there being two different eras involved. The engine was made in 1966 and many advances have been made in both gaskets and sealing material.

I'm not a mechanic by trade, but rather by necessity. When the shop rates for both boats and autos reached the $75 to $100 per hour level, I brought my tools back out. I just finished rebuilding the twin carbs and putting a water pump on a 19.5' Bayliner with a Volvo I/O that i bought for resale.

Thanks again for your input, now if you could just tell me what's wrong with a Geo Metro that I can't fix, I'd be all set. LOL

Back