Logo

bent guardrails /hand rails?

Pal

Contributing Member
Hi, My boat is older, and has apparently suffered some bangs into things. The side handrails/guard rails are bent inward on my port side. So, I figured I'd unscrew the allen set screws and attempt to straighten them out. But, some of them have rivets instead of allen set screws. Do you have to grind those off? And then through-bolt them? Or thread the pipe for more set screws? Any hints for straightening the "pipes"? Or does that not work too well? Thanks to you all!

Ayuh,... Rivets can usually be drilled out, then just use more rivets to put it back together...
In my experience, replacin' the tubing is the answer,...
Never had much luck tryin' to straighten it...

Ayuh,... Rivets can usually be drilled out, then just use more rivets to put it back together...
In my experience, replacin' the tubing is the answer,...
Never had much luck tryin' to straighten it

Thanks. You can get SS rivets I guess? I'll have to Google it. Do those hand riveters that you see actually work? Thx, Pal

Thanks. You can get SS rivets I guess? I'll have to Google it. Do those hand riveters that you see actually work? Thx, Pal

Well, I found the SS rivets. Pretty common I guess. Now to see if anyone uses the hand riveting tool. Twenty dolla Harbor Freight.

ha ha well I'll look into a "good" one then. I have a much beter picture of what I need to do, Thanks, Pal

2X on replacing damaged tubing....If can be straightened but takes a good press and an experienced operator. There's usually a GOOD reason for the cheap tool costing only $20 vs the better one with a $60 price tag. same thought applies to the rivets, too (some offer curved parts specifically for use on tubing). If the boat will see the brine, its usually worth the effort to find 'closed' rivets (that will keep the water out of the tube they are used in).

Back