Logo

Adjustable Pitch Prop

426hemi

Contributing Member
I originally posted the following in another section but I now realize that this one is a more appropriate location. I tried to delete the original post but was unable to. My apologies for the double post.

I found an aluminum adjustable pitch prop in the bottom of an old boat I recently purchased along with a 1963 Johnson 40 HP. I assume that it was once used on this same motor It has a half dime-sized chunk out of one of the blades but it should be repairable. I'm not familiar with this type of prop and I haven't been able to find anything helpful on the net. It is stamped as "Omni-Pitch" and has an adjustment range from 7 to 15. Pics are attached showing the ID and the range of adjustment. If anyone can tell me anything about this equipment and whether it would be worth repairing I would greatly appreciate it.​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

I had the blade repaired at a shop and the owner said that he had heard of them but hadn't seen one either. It actually works quite well and it only takes a couple of seconds to change the pitch. I did a little research and found out that it was invented by a Charles O'Conner from New York State and manufactured by Lesnor Maehr Marine Co. Inc. of Floral Park NY. The patent was applied for in 1958 and issued in 1960.

SCAN0311 copy 4.jpg

Last edited:
i like the 1960 prices .....bought a new motor a couple years ago and thought i was buying a gold plated one when i looked at price of props...

Back