Logo

what should my boat have

let me start by saying i purchased a 66 nylox boat with a 6 something 105 chrysler motor wife said after purches that boat and motor are now hers. i needed the motor for my bass boat now i have a 19' bass boat with no motor what i need to know is what hp motor should i put on a 19' boat because since my wife took my motor now i can get what motor i want . the boat says it can handle a 150 hp sometimes u see the rangers and stuff do like 65 to 70 on the water. then again i know it does not come down to hp it has many variables please help

Depending on your boat??? You might not want to go 60.The bigger newer boats with the higher HP motors are built for that speed.
A 75 might push you to 30
I don't think it's big enough for that boat and your NOT gonna be happy.
Get at least a 125 or bigger.

When you start looking:check the transom to see what motors gonna fit.
They come in as small as 15" up to 25"
Go measure the spot where the motor goes. http://www.onlineoutboards.com shows what you need.
Then you'll need to figure out the prop.After you decide what your gonna get.Then the prop on a 125 I'd start with about a 19p then adjust from there.

a 60 0r 75 is to small!! I agree with jerryjerry measure and see what will fit,and i dont think you will be happy with anything less than a 100 or a 125.Good luck!!

Former boat, a 17' Sport Craft tri-hull (rated to 120 Hp), '84 Chrysler 90 Hp (4 cyl.), 13.25 X 17 prop (stainless or aluminum), made 32 mph max per gps with 4 aboard.

Boat 1x1.jpg

well i have just picked up a older 105 chrysler 105 hp going to put it on in the next couple of weeks my boat is 19 ft bass boat hp rating is up to 150 but a 150 is a lot of money i was lucky to get what i got i just hope i will be able to do 45 with 2 people in her if not then i will be saving or sell my big wheeler truck to pay for a motor

ps i talked my wife into letting have the motor and junking other boat

Once you get it mounted:To get the best speed.
The right prop???
Trim and Tilt will help get more speed.
After you get it mounted come back on and we can help with the prop.
Your probably NEVER gonna get over 45.Those speeds are for the bigger motors.
Depending on your boat and weight and the load.
A friend has a 17 with a 150 and he's hitting almost 60.
He has a newer set up with jack plate and T/T.J

Last edited:
not sure what was on it just traded some car work and got the boat it is a very nice boat but no motor no throttle controls and main wire harness was cut so its almost like someone stole the motor never found out the story but here are some pics

boat.jpgboat 2.jpg

If you really want to find out what was on it you can write the manufacturer.They have records of what came on it.
Knowing what it had would make it easier to install a new motor.
Like:Older Forces and Mercury have different mounting holes and differnt wiring etc.

Back