Logo

Need help with new to me 8hp "Oil injected" outboard

8hpsuzukiowner

I just bought a used 8hp 2 stroke "oil injected" 90's model Suzuki pretty much sight unseen, no owners manual. I hooked it up to the tank when I got home, filled up a trash can with water under the motor to test, and she started right up smooth as silk. Question is, what is "oil injected"? I see there is an oil tank under the hood, so I'm guessing, even though it is a two stroke, she'll run on strait gas? I ran a 50:1 mix tonight for the barrel test to be on the safe side. Any help appriciated, thanks.

The motor has a gear driven pump that meters in the oil.---------------Continue to run it on 50:1 and monitor how much oil is being injected from the oil tank for a given amount of fuel being used.---------Then calculate if it is safe to run on straight gas.

Thanks Raceron. I gather from your answer that if the oil injection is working properly, the motor is designed to run on strait gas from the tank, and oil from the oil tank under the cover. But running 50:1 out of the external tank while testing the oil injection (by monitoring the level) is a good idea in the event that the oil injection is not pumping oil....sound about right?

Correct--------------I have one of those motors all apart in a box ( oil injection failed for some reason ) ------just waiting for a motor with a trashed lower unit for an economical fix.

Planning on taking her out for a test run today, I thought I'd crank her up one more time at home. I topped off the internal oil tank then went to start...she wouldn't turn over. Plugs have spark and I can smell the fuel on them. Try, try try again an finally (after 30 minutes of trying) she starts right up. Idled for 5 minutes, put in gear, back to neutral, rev the engine, all is well. Hit the kill switch. Tried to start back up again, and no go. Very frustrating. Gotta be something simple... any thoughts?

" wouldn't turn over "-----------------what exactly do you mean here !!!-------------Was the motor stuck or it would not start.-----------------Clear inforormation is needed to get answers.

Sorry...that's the wrong way to put it... She'd turn over just fine, just not start. When I finally got her to start, no problems at all...except would start again after I hit the kill switch.:mad:

Again -----------What do you mean with a statement ------------------" I hit the kill switch "-----------------Did you hit it with a hammer ?????-------------------You have to be clear and concise , I can not see your motor or understand your " motor speak "

Not with a hammer! I just mean the button at the end of the tiller that stops the motor...gentle push with my thumb. Thought maybe the kill switch was malfunctioning...stuck or something...don't think so though seems free moving. Tried disconecting the kill switch all together...still a no go.

Gave her one more try today...two words..."starter fluid" ...seemed to solve the problem. Idled for 10 minutes, turned her off, started back up easy with a gentle pull...all seems to be well. I'm sure she'll benefit from a few gallons of fresh gas, maybe some Sea Foam through the carb. I'll run 50:1 for now and keep an eye on the oil tank under the hood. Thanks for the input!:cool:

Back