Logo

Removing/disabling of VRO2 pump

bill_w

Advanced Contributor
There is a VRO2 system on my 91 115hp Johnson. What steps should be taken to disable the pump, so I can run premixed fuel? Should/can the entire pump be removed, and replaced with an earlier model fuel pump?

thanks,
Bill

Sure , just put an 83 V-4 pump on it---------------The spot to mount it on the intake manifold is already there.------------Just get the pump and gasket and it will be obvious where it goes.

How about an 89 pump...already have one of those. And Racer, did you get my pm about the 130 looper?

A pump from one of the " special " models will also work.----------Clearly I said a fuel pump from an 83 model bolts on to your motor with no fuss.-------Why ask about an 89 pump unless that motor has an 83 pump installed !!!!

Poop, the VRO on the motor supposedly doesn't work, and has already been partly dismantled (I just bought this motor). I'd just like to remove it altogether. And Racer, it's not an 89 pump I have extra...it's an 82, on a 82 intake, bolted to an 89 block. It will fit, I just have to plug one vacuum hole, by moving the plug where the pump goes, to the vacuum fitting for the VRO on the 91 intake.

Its VERY SIMPLE to disable and remove VRO. I did a conversion on my 89 " Rude" 150 V6 this morning. Went with two pre '84 diaphragm style pumps routed together. Made a major difference in performance! Cost about $200 for parts but worth every dime considering I have been through two VROs in two months! If u want detailed instructions on how to do it let me know!

Yes, by all means Bigham. I can see how to do the conversion using one pump in place of the VRO. But 2 pumps, now I'm really curious.

Thanks
Bill

Sorry Bill, Racer is correct your particular motor will not require two. So that being said, being that you only need one it should be SUPER easy for you to convert. I will never ever use a VRO again. And I will urge anyway who still has one to part with it. I am very excited that my conversion worked as well as it did considering I did it myself!

There really is nothing " wrong " with the VRO pump itself.-----------The concept is brilliant !!!---------------But people assume ---------" it is automatic "---and do not keep an eye on it , check the hoses / filter / alarm /----do an oil output test.----------After a year of idle time people assume it is going to work.----------In Canada in the spring you need to mix at 50:1 untill operation of the VRO is veified.

Back