Logo

CC 283 Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement

mtuck02

Rebuilding a 283 and am at the point to install a new or used fuel pump. Question: can i just put in a GM small block pump (i.e. automotive mechanical pump) or do i need to track down an expsensive Carter marine replacement?
Thanks.....

I strongly suggest you stick to marine grade components. The marine fuel pump is designed to not spill raw gas into the bilge when the seals fail. Marine alternators are designed to prevent open sparks for igniting fuel vapors, etc. Most automotive components either can't stand up to the marine environment and/or pose a saftey hazzard if used for marine applications.

Dave

Obviously I don't want to blow up so I asked the question. I always use marine parts and plan on continuing to use them. I should have asked the question: is the mechanical fuel pump on the SB 283 the same on an auto engine? I now take it the civil answer would have been no.......
Trust me, when I want to go it wont be in an exploding bot.

its the same but has a tube that goes to carb so when the fuel pump diaphragm break gas gets dumped into the carb and not the oil

Since I need both a fuel pump and carburetor, any thoughts on buying a combo kit? Summit racing has a combo with a Holley 6.5 to 8 psi marine mechanical pump and Edelbrock, 600 cfm, electric choke marine carb for $470. Or should I stick to a rebuilt chris craft carb?

I'm sure that the diaphrams and check valves used in both the auto and marine are of very similar materials.
Like the others have said, the Marine version allows for diaphram rupture protection in that it will offer the port for diverting this to either the flame arrestor and/or a port in the carburetor.
The Marine version will also allow for disassembly as to phase the inlet/outlet ports for an array of engine applications.
images

Which carburetor is on this engine now?
Holley offers a very good spread bore replacement, as well as a square bore replacement.

HLY-712-454-11.jpg
Here is pic from summit racing....its a marine pump

As far as the carb i have now.... that's the problem, i got the engine out of a barn and it was missing a few parts, the carb being one of them.

The original carb would have been a 4 barrel Carter WCFB ( i beleive)

Almost done with the rebuild, just need the pump, carb and ignition wires

Back