Logo

Faint Oil Light - 50HP TLDI

DuckDogDude

New to forum and this is my first post. Looking for help with Oil light problem. 2006 50A has tach with 3 lights (oil, temp, battery). Resently noticed that the oil light glows very dim while engine runs. There are no issues with performance, no buzzers, no flashing lights to indicate there is a problem. In fact, during the day, the light is so dim, you can't tell that its illuminated. I only noticed it because I was out at night and saw the very faint glow. Upon first turning the key on, all 3 indicator lights briefly glow brightly as they should. Two go completely out but the oil light stays on very, very faintly. I've checked oil level, electrical connections, and have run motor under different conditions. I have no clue what this is or what it's telling me. Anyone have an idea or have seen this before? Thx

Thank you. Unfortunately, there are no dealers close or inside of a couple of hours drive. There are some marine repair services but not sure they could diagnose this. I will make that drive if needed but will check for ground issues first. Any other ideas of things I could check before making the half day trek back and forth to the closest dealer?

Likely a poor ground. Can be tricky to diagnose/troubleshoot, and may require some patience to isolate it. Use only a good analog ohm meter if checking for resistance in the ground connections.

Problem Resolved!!! In my search to find a ground problem, I ran across the culprit. Wow ... would have never dreamed this one up. Wasn't a bad ground at all but a bad positive. Some way, the insulation on positive input to the light bulb was worn off. the wire from the gas guage sending unit was also bare at the connection. Coincidentally, the two wires were laying together under the console making connection. Separated and reinsulated the wires ... bingo! Problem gone! I would have thought the fuel guage would have shown problems but it worked fine and still does. But my faint oil light went away immediately. Thanks for the suggestions to check for a faulty ground. Had I not checked for that I would have never seen this problem.

Back