Logo

Yanmar 6LY3-ETP (480)

rschulte

Hi Folks:

My wife and I are the less-than-pleased owners of a new Hunt 33 with a Yanmar 480 connected to an Ultra-Jet 340.

Having taken delivery of the boat just a few days ago, we have been twice towed back to the dock.

The engine starts and runs fine. However, while underway we lost all engine control, throttle control, jet control and engine gauges. Our local Yanmar representative replaced the ECU in short order with immediately good results. We went out again, and got towed back again. Same issue(s).

Our analogue volt-meter is non-operational, although there is power to the gauges and when power is applied to it, along with the other gauges, it does its "pre-operational swing."

Something is apparently cooking the ECU.

Any ideas?

Right now, I own the world's most expensive row-boat and I am not happy.:mad:

Did you ever think of contact Yanmar directly. If this were a car you would bring it back to the dealer and let them deal with this contact your dealer and have them contact Yanmar.

If the ECU is getting burnt up, see if you have a ZF gearbox. Yanmar came out with a Bulletin last year claiming that changes by ZF in the shift solenoid took more voltage then the original Yanmar ECU wAS designed to take. We haVE experiencd the same problems you are having and it appeart to be design defect with the end consumer holding the bag.

That is indeed the issue and a fix has been devised by Yanmar. This consumer WILL NOT be left holding the bag.

I have the bulletin. I have read the bulletin. It appears to be an example of good old fashion finger pointing.

Parts have arrived at Yanmar dealer - BayShore Marine. They are great and are being hamstrung by Yanmar.

This is very disappointing since this is and has been a known problem for well-over one (1) year. And yet, everybody seems to be acting as if this is the first time that they have encountered the issue.

This is why lawsuits are filed.

I have no problem that a mistake was or mistakes were made; we are all human. What separates us is what happens after the mistake is discovered. Some step up, own it and do the right thing. Yanmar seems to be taking a different course.

Last Yanmar product I will ever buy. Too much competition out there to invite the sting again.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased a Luhrs 35 with same engine and ZF transmission.

Do you folks have a copy of the Yanmar service Bulletin or the number of the bulletin? I'd like to perform the preventative maintence to avoid "stuck out at sea" situations.

Thanks.

Back