Logo

Identifying Timing Marks On A 90 HP Flywheel

DavidW2009

Regular Contributor
Motor: 1975 90HP Chrysler 3-Cyl.

I'm doing a static timing check. The Clymers manual says to line up the 32 deg. mark on the flywheelwith the indicator on the tab. There is mention of a decal on the flywheel. On mine , the decal is either missing or it's covered with melted resin from the fire.

I did find stamped marks on the flywheel near the ring gear. One is (|0) ('0' deg. with a tick mark??) and the other is (3|6) for possibly 36 degs. See photo attached.

I lined up the (3|6) tick mark with -4 deg. on the tab which should give me 32 deg.. I made the static checks with a volt meter and everything was to the book, including the needle fluctuuation when the timing belt is deflected.

Question: Am I correct to think the stamped marks are '0' and 36 deg.?

Attachments

• Check Static Timing 90 HP 05Oct2011 001b.jpg
    Check Static Timing 90 HP 05Oct2011 001b.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 337
I believe this will get you close ................

If you can get a decent measurement on the diameter (or two times the radius) of you're flywheel and can do basic math, you can determine this.

Flywheel Diameter times 3.14 = circumference (example: 10" diameter X 3.14 = 31.40)

Circumference divided by 360 = thousants per degree (example: 31.40 / 360 = .0872")

Thousants per degree times the 36 = measurement from zero on the circumference of the flywheel (example: .0872" X 36 = 3.14" from zero around the circumference)

dave69,

I calculated the inches/degree and it came out to .073"/degree.

36 degrees = 2.63".

I measured it on the flywheel and it was very close to that, so I'm going to assume the stamped marks are the '0' deg. and 36 deg marks.

I had to go thru this little exercise because there is no decal and the Clymers said nothing about stamped marks, and also, this is the first time I've ever checked timing on any outboard. Just not familiar.

Thanks for the feedback. Problem solved.

Happy to help.

Using this, one could probably mark off the ticks on their flywheel or harmonic balancer for total advance checks.

My bad. I wrongly stated Clymers did not have reference to the stamped marks on the flywheel.

They do. If I'd backed up a few pages, I would have seen it. (In the static timing section there is no refernce to the marks, only a decal.)

Motor: 1975 90HP Chrysler 3-Cyl.

I'm doing a static timing check. The Clymers manual says to line up the 32 deg. mark on the flywheelwith the indicator on the tab. There is mention of a decal on the flywheel. On mine , the decal is either missing or it's covered with melted resin from the fire.

I did find stamped marks on the flywheel near the ring gear. One is (|0) ('0' deg. with a tick mark??) and the other is (3|6) for possibly 36 degs. See photo attached.

I lined up the (3|6) tick mark with -4 deg. on the tab which should give me 32 deg.. I made the static checks with a volt meter and everything was to the book, including the needle fluctuuation when the timing belt is deflected.

Question: Am I correct to think the stamped marks are '0' and 36 deg.?
manual show right on figure u got as u r motor 3cyl -4 mark centred right as show in book figure 47

Back