Logo

Tahatsu M70A

Capt Randall

I have tried and tried to get parts for my motor such as carb kits and I am being told that there is no way to get many parts for this motor anymore...Heck I have an old Ted williams motor 1968 model and I can still get any part I desire for it.!!.
This really does leave a very bad taste in my mouth and the factory wont even answer my e mails...Well seeing how I live in Florida.*Fishing Capitol of the Unite States*..I think it is my duty to inform all fishermen and on every webb site I can find about this issue and that they may re think buying any Tahatsu product what so ever....Oh well I vented and I am going to go buy me a new Mercury now.

Keep in mind that the 70A, after 25 years, is quite old and obsolete. It was a good motor in its day, but that day is past. In most cases, parts availability for older motors dries up not because of anything the manufacturer does, but rather at the level of the sub-contractor manufacturers, who make the specialized bits such as carbs and the like. Once the motor goes put of production, demand for the sub-assemblies drops off, and after a few years, they are not made any more, so even the motor manufacturer can't get them. Yes, it sucks, but that's the way of the manufacturing world today (for all manufacturers), because so many sub-assemblies are "subbed-out".

Also bear in mind that Tohatsu makes the Merc motors 30 hp and smaller.

Yes, I can still buy a few parts for my 1968 Chevy Corvair... but they are not cheap, nor easy to get... and some just are not made any more... and that's on a marque that's rather collectible, and has a lot of reproduction parts being made. But... try to buy a throttle body for a 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9L. Or a carb kit for my 1974 Chrysler 3.6 hp air-cooled OB.

Last edited:
I have tried and tried to get parts for my motor such as carb kits and I am being told that there is no way to get many parts for this motor anymore...Heck I have an old Ted williams motor 1968 model and I can still get any part I desire for it.!!.
This really does leave a very bad taste in my mouth and the factory wont even answer my e mails...Well seeing how I live in Florida.*Fishing Capitol of the Unite States*..I think it is my duty to inform all fishermen and on every webb site I can find about this issue and that they may re think buying any Tahatsu product what so ever....Oh well I vented and I am going to go buy me a new Mercury now.

Your Ted Williams was a lawnmower engine on an outboard frame:) Every outboard manufacturer has obselete parts...

Back