Logo

Oil in drive shaft when removing upper unit

foggydog

Hi, I have an 2003 Alpha 1 Gen 2 stern drive and am in the process of replacing the impeller. When I pulled the upper unit off about an ounce of Gear Oil came out along with the drive shaft. I was just wondering if this is normal or are there seals in the upper unit that need replacing. No water in the gear oil, either the oil that was drained from the unit or the ounce that came out with the shaft. Another thing that noticed is that there some wear on the shaft at or around the point where it sits in the seal. Again is this normal wear or something that I should be concerned about.

Thanks for your help

The test kit from Tom is a good unit.
I own one.... seems to work well!
Anyone doing their own drive work should own one!

d0_1_b.JPG

About the oil!

Note that some greases are incompatible with one another when blended, often loosing viscosity, and often
resembling oil.... no longer grease.
If the Gimbal bearing had been greased with Un-Like, or incompatible grease, it may be the oil that you are seeing in
the bellows!
Point being...... you may want to pressure test this before you assume that the seal has failed.
Be sure that the drive oil is drained prior to any pressure test..... otherwise the test may not be accurate!

Remember...... this is a "Leak-Down" test, so there is a time element involved in the testing!

Merc suggests that the vacuum test is not recommended for this drive......... but if low vacuum is used, it works just fine.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I think you misunderstood him.

If you removed the upper unit from the lower unit, then yes gear oil will come out and this is normal. If you had gear oil in the bellows when you removed the drive from the boat, this is not normal and you need to follow the directions from Rick above.

I am also confuse as to what he is refering to.........

Oil from the bellows or from the seperation of the upper from the lower?

Can not make a good suggestion until that is known.

I use these and I always do a vacuum test, it should hold ~ 6-8 inches only. no need for more.

Pressure checking is to ~ 15-17 psi and should hold steady for 2 minutes.

http://www.stevensinstrument.com/gearcase.htm

A vacuum test can show a bad upper carrier seal ( maybe others also) before a pressure test will. Have seen this first hand several times......the seal seems to hold the pressure but will show a leak under vacuum, Of course after that the seal will fail when rechecked under pressure...........just one of those anomilies......

Back