Logo

Crusaer 454XL Timing Procedure

lgarofalo01

Hello all. First off, I am new to this site and have been finding a wealth of information. Thanks for that!

I have 1992 Crusader 454XL's in my 34 Silverton Convertible. Can anyone confirm the correct procedure to disable the electronic timing advance when setting initial timing? The manual that came with the boat is for an older series engine. I received a paper from Crusader that shows to disconnect a single wire connector with a single wire near the LH exhaust manifold. The wire is brown coming out of the convulted tubing near the elecronics box, at the quick disconnect connector the wire changes to black and goes back into the convulted tubing.
The confusing part (to me) is that the Crusader rep. I spoke to stated to unplug the pink wire located closer to the distributor cap when setting initial timing, even after I questioned what was in teh Crusader paper. So... is the paper right where I unplug the black/brown wire or follow what the Crusader rep said and unplug the pink wire (Also a single wire) located near the distributor? Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Once I get beyond my own 1992 Crusaders ( they are not XL's), I go blank. IF we assume you have Delco E.S.T dristributors there is a plug that reads TIME on one side and RUN on the other...it is small so you will need to look for it molded into the plug. In the TIME position, you can properly set your distributor. JUST REMEMBER: replace it back to the RUN position when finished or the advance will be disabled...Hope that helps some.....confirm your distributor type first

Thanks for your response. That black plug is on the previous generation. I sure wish they would have left it the same on my engines. Labeling the plug would be too simple I suppose.

Just specifying the year and model won't narrow the variables in many cases. Most of us don't have the complete access to the factory manuals as that represents a small fortune. with the newer stuff, the distributor type/model number and the vintage of any 'computer control' will usually be sufficient to generate a viable answer....So, which distributor system is on yours?

Back