Logo

20 hp mercury headache

T

Tony Carter

" I have a 1980/82 20 hp mercu

" I have a 1980/82 20 hp mercury that i have had the carb rebuilt, a new fuel tank, and now it runs at idle and when you first put it in gear, but under acceleration it breaks down and or surges. It will run better for a little while if you pull the choke out some. It is getting fire to both plugs. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks "

" Tony, it still sounds like y

" Tony, it still sounds like you have carb problems. I assume the needle valve, carb gaskets, and fuel pump diaphragms and gaskets were replaced? Is the float level set correctly? The 20hp was not made in 1982, it stopped in 81, then came back in 86 "

" Thanks Daren, you are right

" Thanks Daren, you are right about the year. It was a typing error on my part. I meant to put 80/81. I took the motor to someone to check. I do appreciate your response. I plan on posting what the remedy was, once i know. Thanks again. "

clean your carbs out even if

clean your carbs out even if the carb is rebuilt that doesnt always mean they are clean use a weld tip cleaner to get all of the gunk out i did it to mine and it made a world of difference

" I understand that the mercur

" I understand that the mercury engine has a governor that is connected to the mags. If this governor is put on upside down or backwards, it causes the engine to surge and cut out....you might try that..(could be blowing stuff out its butt at lightspeed or something too...who knows) "

Back