Logo

216 hp compatable with sterndrive?

welshswampy

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have a 24ft bayliner trophy with an omc 5.7l petrol with cobra outdrive, I am looking at a "216hp supercharged v6 detroit 2 stroke diesel" ( this is what it is advertised as, no other info as yet) my question is can this diesel be coupled up to an outdrive or is it only compatable with a gearbox and shaft?
Many thanks in advance
ps. my apologies if this is a stupid question as I know nothing about Detroit diesels

The Cobra outdrive is a derivative of the Volvo-Penta corporation and I believe there were and may still be some diesel pairings. I don't think I've ever heard of a Detroit/outdrive set up but, like my pappy used to tell me...."boy! we could make up a whole new world outa just what you don't know!" so, there may be some.

At any rate, where there's a will there's a way and a determined fellow should be able to make it happen. After all, the Detroit is just another engine.

Some problems that could arise do come to mind:

The 5.7L GM platform as well as the 7.4L has ready made, off the shelf hardware for doing what you propose while it might be a reach to find coupling hardware for the Detroit.

Additionally, there may be quite a weight difference between the diesel and the gas engine. I don't know offhand what either one weighs but I believe the Detroit will put your stern much further down in the water than the Chevy will.

Then there is the shifting. The Cobra system briefly shuts the gas engine down when selecting forward or reverse so that the drive isn't damaged. I'm not sure how this would work with the Detroit.

I'm sure there are others that know way more than me about this stuff so maybe you'll get some other offerings to help you decide. Good luck.

I don't think an OMC Cobra drive will stand up to the torque of a 6V92 Detroit. Plus you will need to spin a large diameter wheel and it will not fit on that drive.

Thanks both for your replies, I knew that it wouldnt work with the cobra outdrive (wrong ratio etc) I just wondered if it could work with maybe a V/P duo prop or something else
I know that would mean changing to a different transom etc, but I was told that the V/P transom is bigger than the cobra so would mean cutting more out of the back of the boat rather than trying to infil it
Any info or advice greatly appreciated

Just found out the weight of the Detroit engine, nearly 2000lbs!, I think that is probably double the weight of my omc
So if thats true then its too heavy, I prefer to do my boating on top of the water rather than under it!
Thanks all anyway

It's a wise man that heeds the lessons attained in childhood. Namely, look before you leap. I have, too many times, jumped in to something because it was a "bargain" or seemed like a "good idea" only to find I got burned...by me!

It sounds as if you, on the other hand, have a tendency to do your homework.

Happy boating!

Back