Logo

1939 Johnson Seahorse Questions

parmamenian

I believe I have a 1939, 1.1 Hp Johnson Seahorse outboard, but I'm not sure as I can find now model number or Hp markings on this unit.

Questions I have are:

-How can I confirm model, year, and Hp
-What type of lubricant to use in lower unit? On motor it says to use "Mobile Underwater Gear Grease" or "Seahorse Gear Lubricant".

On those older engines (if a plate does not exist), the model number was usually imbedded into the engine just below the powerhead area on the port (Left) side.

I should think that the regular mechanical gearcase lube "HiVis" would be sufficent.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply, it looks like at one time there may have been a plate there, but it must have been removed. I did see a number cast on the underside of powerhead "102104", but this appears not to apply to model number. From the catalog search on this site, I believe it must be a 1.1 hp, MD-39.

I placed an order for this catalog, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Also, I have a couple other questions if you don't mind:

-The motor does still have instructions for the oil/fuel ratio, which is 1/2 pint SAE Mobiloil with each gallon of gas (16:1). This seems pretty high ratio. Do you have a recommendation for an outboard oil, and should I stick with recommended oil/fuel ratio?

Thanks again for your help!

PS, I tried to insert photos into this thread, but am not having much luck!

Oil seals may have been " primitive " in those days.--------Best to find a grease to do the job.-------------Fellows on the -------------aomci ----------------they will advize as to the types of grease to use.

It would probably be best to ask the fellows at www.aomci.org which is the antique outboard site. THey could best advise you in many areas.

The picture posting thing..... Go to the website www.photobucket.com . They have free and paid areas whereas you can upload pictures, then copy and paste either the actual pictures or links to the pictures to iboats or any other place you might want to have the picture seen. Best to keep the picture(s) down to a width of 600 pixels otherwise they are so large that one has to scroll back and forth.

Back