Logo

8hp mercury 2-stroke outboard speed problems

Let's get this engine running.
my number is #339-7452 A10

Is this number on the switchbox attached to the engine? What is the engine serial number? You have not determined if the stator and trigger are both good. You need to do that before bying the switchbox. The were tested as being good.

http://www.outboardignition.com/page39.asp this is a specification chart for Merc. and Mariner --NON-JAPANESE engines. Use it to ohm test the stator and trigger. If they both ohm test good then order the switchbox by using the engine serial number.

the wierd part about it is that i get a charge on my voltage meter on the bottom coil and the top coil, but the spark plug opdoesn't fire, in the afternoon today i will do the stator and trigger test and post what i came up with, thanks

I have a new Mercury 8 outboard. It was only used once last year and then stored until spring 2023. Every time it is started this year the motor dies once the choke is moved to 50% or off. I'm not sure if the fuel from last year was ever burned out before the boat was stored. My neighbor suggested to use high octane fuel to see if it made a difference, and so far it has not. What do you suggest?

Back