Logo

1989 40hp d

BOBH47

Two days ago a started my 40d had to use either to get her going could not keep her running but was running long enough for water to run through maybe ran for 2 0r 3mins then shut her down for the night. It was getting dark out.

So the next day i thought i would work on her getting her going good but when i turned the key the starter engaged but didn't turn so i checked the battery it was good, took the starter off worked fine no prob, but tried to turn the motor and it won't move! What the heck did i do !! Did i seize it !! Can i fix it, cry,cry,cry

The 40D is a 2-stroke. That requires oil. Starting fluid (ether) does not have oil. You probably stuck the rings to the cylinders. Verify the starter safety lock (to prevent cranking in gear) is not engaged. Try some penetrating oil or WD-40 in the plug holes, and let it sit for a day, then try turning the flywheel with a strap wrench or similar. If it frees up enough, then go through the carbs, which was your likely initial problem.

thank you for your response; i already put marvens mystery oil in the plug holes because i thought the samething, that i had dried out the cylinders so i am on the same page. the ether i used had a upper cylinder lube in it. boat motors are new to me so with that said, here's my dumb question, how do i check the starter safety lock to Verify its not on. maybe its time i get a repair manual. Thanks for your time. bob

The starter safety has a dog that jumps down into the top of the recoil housing and engages to prevent the recoil from operating when the motor is in gear. You can see it operating as you shift. A Factory service manual is available from and dealer, including me. You would order Part # 003-21036-1, $44.17.

Back