Logo

150HP Force outboard - no spark at the plugs

I have a 150 HP Force outboard (1992, model 1508) and I think I have some kill switch issues. At first I was getting nothing at all when turning the key. I bypassed the 2 yellow wires going into the switch, and now the starter turns but I have no spark at the plugs. I searched thru some of the older posts and I see a lot of reference to disconnect the "Black and yellow" wires. I am not very familiar with this type of engine (I'm new to outboards in general - I've only had this boat a short time and this is the first issue I have encountered), if anyone could provide a good description or even a photo of where to find these wires I would really appreciate it.

I'm not sure what would have tripped the kill switch, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to correct it!

Thanks,
Carmine

The black/yellow wires referenced go to the switch boxes. This is where you would disconnect them. Don't allow the motor to start as you would have to disconnect the fuel line or choke it until it stops. If you have spark with them disconnected the problem is in the mecury tilt switch on the motor, the kill switch, or the ignition switch. Its rare that the mercury tilt switch goes bad.

I have figured out the problem with the kill switch - the piece that engages the switch (attached to the gear cable) needed to be adjusted. Somehow it came loose and was not making proper contact with the switch. That solved half my problem. I still am not getting any spark at the plugs. I think I may have a bad/broken ground wire but don't know where to look..

What year and ignition do you have?I have a 150 manual I just need to make sure what year I'm working.
Serial#s and pics help.
Could be a bad keyway in the flywheel.Or the magnet in the flywheel has come loose.Post pics of the underside of the flywheel.
You do a stator check?outboardignition.com has test procedures.
Remove the flywheel and check for rubbing wires.Grounds all over the motor??J

Jerry,

The motor is a 1992 model 1508X92C, SN# 027554

I'll read up on how to test the stator and remove the flywheel. I'm attaching a few pics to this post. Thanks for the reply! Boat motor 005.jpgboat motor 003.jpg

Back