Logo

Mystery Clog....solve this....

jerold

Regular Contributor
1988 Force 125. I removed the leg housing to gain access to the powerhead mounting bolts. In between the housing and the exhaust outlet is a rubber boot that connects the two. I removed the boot, and something caught my eye in the exhaust hole. I pulled out what appeared at first to be a 3" long petrified bent turd. I am pretty sure now that it is plastic, cooked and hardened. It is about 1" thick at its biggest. It just settled there in the exhaust hole. Perhaps bits of a long disintigrated impeller that melted from the exhaust heat? Someone dropped something inside unknowingly when the powerhead was off? Or is it a piece of the engine that I'm not thinking of?????

After discovering that the impeller was destroyed, I'm pretty sure that the clog was the melted remnants of the impeller, broken apart and melted back together into the turd like shape, stuck in the exhaust port where the 2 holes are at the rear of the leg housing....

Could be the melted plastic cage of a roller bearing as well.-------------------Seen that before on a Johnson motor.

Interesting.....either way, that powerhead is sitting on my garage floor waiting to be disposed of. Amen.

Back