Logo

2000 50hp 4 stroke tilt motor relay problem please help

big daddy

Hi guys

today I went out and the motor worked fine and all of a sudden it wouldnt tilt down or up. then it started tilting up but wouldnt go down. I made it back to boat ramp and when boat was on trailer the motor went down then wouldnt come up.

there was a clicking in the relay at front of engine under the cowl. like the relay was stuffed or battery was flat (which it wasnt as motor started fine etc).

I have removed this relay and stupid me tried to open it up as the top is screwed down but 2 wires on each end go through the top and join the windings, which broke.

I know I will have to get another relay but can anyone tell me if this would of been the cause of the problem as when I pressed either tilt up/down button on motor or throttle control there was just clicking which I could also feel when I placed finger on the relay.

I was thinking after I stuffed this relay that it may of been another problem that was causing the relay to click????? the relay is under cowl in engine not on the tilt/trim motor.

thank you

You should have done your research before open it up. With that said the relay is a very simple device. It's just a coil and a few contacts. If it clicks that means it receives the input signal. If there is no power coming out then there could be 2 things. The first would be to check your main power feed. If the power feed is there at the relay then the contacts inside the relay are dirty. You should have 2 5-prongs relays. One is for trim down and one for trim up. They both work together. The reason for the 5 prongs relay is that there is only one trim motor with 2 wires (example A and B). To go up A is + and B is -. To go down A is - and B is +. Each relay will have one output and that output feeds one wire of the trim motor. These output will rest at - all the time. When you trim up it will activate only one relay and that relay will switch the output from - to +. This will complete the circuit and will activate the motor. Same thing with trim down. The other relay will get activated instead. GL

thanks for the reply. I realise I should of researched before I tried to pull it apart. oh well only a 300$ mistake. turns out it was the tilt/trim motor that got a bit of water in it. have serviced it and the motor works again. waiting to get relay in which should be here tomorrow and the boat will be operational again.

I know then, you tell me where I can get the proper relay to suit the motor for less. list price is 345. so 305isnt bad. I am in Australia, so everything costs more here.

Not sure your relays have special sockets for them or not. If they do and you want to keep them original then go for the OEM relays. If it were me I would get a set of automotive relays and splice in the wires. I described how these relays work above. It's up to you what you want to do. This really brings out the meaning of BOAT isn't it. If you need help rewiring let me know. It's actually very simple after you understand it. GL

PS. I forgot to describe how the 5 prongs relay work. This is from the top of my head BTW. 2 of the prongs are inputs to the coil (85 and 86). One is ground and the other is 12V input. Pin 30 is the output. Pin 87 is the input and normally open, relative to pin 30. Pin 87A is also input and normally connect to pin 30. When the relay activates it disconnects pin 87A from 30 and at the same time it connects pin 30 to pin 87.

Last edited:
There is 4 terminals coming from the relay, 1 for negative, 1 for active from the battery, 2 to tilt trim motor. then there is 4 wires going into relay that comes from switch. the new genuine one is ordered i will just stick with it at this stage. I am lucky it wasnt the tilt/trim motor that was burnt out. 900$ for them.

If your relay has four prongs that means the switch is the one does the switching of the polarity of the signals for the trim motor. This is a dual action type of switch and it can cost $. The 4 prongs relay is just a standard relay. Just get an automotive relay and plug it in and save yourself $300. Show me a picture of the relay socket where the relay plug into.

The system I described above uses a single action switch to control.

Last edited:
the relay didnt come in today. should be here tomorrow. there is no socket the relay is a rectangle block type that bolts onto the front of the engine under the cowl

The relay has 4 male pins sticking out. It needs a female socket to plug into. If there is no socket that means the wires attached to the male connectors and you have to plug one by one into the relay. If this is the case you can get an automotive relay which is like $5 each.

I have a 2000 50 HP Evinrude that has a tilt problem. I can raise the engine using the switch on the throttle handle but I can't lower the engine using this switch. I can raise and lower the engine by using the switch located on the engine. Does that engine switch use the same relay? Or does it mean that I have a bad wire between the throttle handle and the tilt? Any suggestions about how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post so if I have not done something correctly, please let me know.

You have posted on a thread that is 7 years old, start a new thread of your own, Go to home page and click on the" help" icon upper left corner in the dark blue stripe, You will get more responses

I have a 2000 50 HP Evinrude that has a tilt problem. I can raise the engine using the switch on the throttle handle but I can't lower the engine using this switch. I can raise and lower the engine by using the switch located on the engine. Does that engine switch use the same relay? Or does it mean that I have a bad wire between the throttle handle and the tilt? Any suggestions about how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post so if I have not done something correctly, please let me know.

If your motor raises and lowers properly with the switch on the motor, the tilt and trim function is working fine. it could be the switch in the throttle handle or a cabling issue. check the connections from the throttle handle. then look at the switch.

Back