Logo

Sea King twitch,stall,jerk problem

piptown

Noob here, with a 73' 10 Hp Wards SeaKing

Background: Borrowed away motor that ran good. Friend busted recoil and trashed prop when he backed it into an aluminum dock. He returned it , wouldn't start :mad:
No Spark-so we cleaned and gapped points and plugs. Shazam, now there is great spark;)
Then it ran badly on one cylinder. Pulled bottom spark plug out and it was wet. Started motor with that plug removed and it began pumping water out of that cylinder like a fire hose! Pulled off the head, sure enough, the head gasket was blown.:mad:

Replaced that, checked compression, started up and good to go, minus the twitching problem. :confused:

Symptoms:
Engine will start on first pull, but then stalls out within 3-5 seconds. Then if I manually drip some gas into the carb, she will start up and run on first or second pull. She will run nicely UNTIL every 8-15 seconds she kicks/stalls/twitches for a second and then immediately resumes smooth running.

smooth....twitch smooth....twitch smooth.....twitch smooth...

This occurs while in neutral or in gear. Symptoms go away between 70-100% wide open throttle. To turn the motor off, I used to put it in idle, pull out the choke, and it would flood out and stall. Lately, she will keep running in the low idle even with the choke out, so I suspect I have a gas/air problem, being too lean.
Also replaced o-rings on fuel tank line fittings, prop, and recoil assy.

Open to suggestions on what this twitch could be!!

-Rick

Back