Logo

Tohatsu 4 hp 4 stroke won't start

SilentK

I have a 2 year old Tohatsu 4 hp 4 stroke that won't start. It has worked great since day one and for most of the summer this season - starting 1st or 2nd pull cold. Last month it started to get cranky. Got on the lake and tried to start it - wouldn't turn over or fire. Kept trying every 15 min or so. It finally started about an hour later. Took it out again a week later and it started right up. I did run out of gas on that trip. About a week later I filled the integrated tank about half way and tried to start it. Nothing. No sputter - just silence. I swapped out the spark plug and am still getting the same results. I don't have much experience with these engines but am serious about developing some skills in this department and would really like to try to troubleshoot this one.

Does anyone have any suggestions to point me in the right direction? It seems like it is either not getting any fuel or not getting a spark but I am not sure what I should try next. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

You probably need to fill the tank higher, so the fuel level is above the carb inlet. Or you can pull several times, to pump fuel into the carb. Or you can connect the external tank and squeeze the primer to fill the carb.

Since you are still in the 3-year warranty, why not have your dealer take a look at it?

Thanks Paul. I actually tried those things right after I posted this morning. I have pulled about 100 times. I will probably bring it to a dealer - although I bought it online. Will a dealer still look at it locally under warranty? Still open to suggestions on troubleshooting. Thanks

A dealer will look at anything. Whether or not the problem is covered by the warranty is something else. IE If you had an ignition part that failed within three years it's covered. A dirty carb problem, on the same day that you buy it, wouldn't normally be covered because it's caused by something the owner of the engine did or didn't do.

So I went out after work - without doing anything else to the engine - and it growled on the first crank and started on the second one. I think I will get an external tank with a pump ball. Hopefully it was a priming issue with the integrated tank. Just when you think you can count on gravity. lol.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I have a funny feeling this problem may be back..

Took the engine out yesterday - great day on the water with no problems. Is a sticky valve in the fuel pump something that can be diagnosed/repaired without replacing the fuel pump? Thanks

Yes, you can replace individual parts inside the pump, but that adds labor. We would normally just swap out the pump. 2 screws. 3H6040007M FUEL PUMP, 4/5/6/8/9.8 4-STR ONLY, $57.93. Since you are under warranty, it would be at no cost to you. To diagnose, remove the fuel line at the carb inlet, and open the fuel cock. If no fuel flows, there is a restriction in the fuel line -- either the pump, filter, or debris in the system.

Back