Logo

Chrysler sterndrive parts

Here is a houseboat web site for the 300 drive.
Not sure if you have a V-hull boat or a houseboat..... but take a look.

http://www.all-about-houseboats.com/repair-older-houseboat-outdrives-dana-chrysler-out-drive-manuals.html

attachment.php

3n33p63o15P35X15R5b8ge838d7499d451d1f.jpg

Chrysler also mated some of their engines to the Volvo Penta AQ series drives.
In fact, the tag on these drives often said "Chrysler"....... but these are all Vovlo Penta.

If finding parts and/or repair should become cost ineffective, you may want to consider coverting this to one of the AQ series V/P drives.
The older Volvo Penta boats literally fall apart around these drives, leaving the drives still very usuable, and leaving these boats as parts donor boats.

Scott, in the "All About Houseboats" web site that I linked to, read some of the issues that the Dana drive poses.
If you were to convert, you'll end up with the superior Volvo Penta "Cone Clutch" gear engagement that's pretty much trouble-free.
It also opens up the possibility of a Duo Prop lower unit (although not much of a benefit for a houseboat).

If you have a V-hull boat, this would be a plus for you!

Food for thought!

Last edited:
thanks for the steers guys. have dealt with hurrakain before for bellows, shift cable. this boat came in at night, and after examining in the light it appears the upper input shaft snapped at the input seal. the entire u- joint assembly was swinging around and took out the drive bellows ring, flywheel housing, bellows, water hose, and itself. probably not worth fixing if I could find parts for it. appreciate the help. S.

Duo-props are suspect.....:p......just messin with ya Ricky
That's OK, Grease..... after all that #1 cylinder crap that I gave you, I had that one coming! :D In fact, I probably deserve a few more.

thanks for the steers guys. have dealt with hurrakain before for bellows, shift cable. this boat came in at night, and after examining in the light it appears the upper input shaft snapped at the input seal. the entire u- joint assembly was swinging around and took out the drive bellows ring, flywheel housing, bellows, water hose, and itself. probably not worth fixing if I could find parts for it. appreciate the help. S.
Scott, just a suggestion, but if the boat itself is worth saving, then it may behoove you to do the AQ series Volvo Penta drive.
The transom cut-out is no doubt too large for a later V/P or a Merc, so the AQ series is a shoe-in, so to speak.

All of these AQ series drives are still considered to be very good drives..... all of which use cone clutch engagement, as mentioned.
The AQ series ran well into the 90s.
If you go with a later 80s/earyly 90s, you can have the P/T system.... 90s being the better.
However, you could go with an earlier version also.

The install is relatively straight forward and simple.
I'd be willing to help you with what's needed.

Jack, Scott describes the damage in post #5.
Unless of course these parts are plentiful and inexpensive, that was the impetus of my suggestion!

Jack, sounds like Scott is at a marine repair yard. One of my parts legs had a similar event . The salvage was only the bottom box ! Scott have a look where the leg pivots on the yoke. There is a good chance this is damaged.... Scott. What is the power plant and the model of the leg ? Frederick

Can anyone PLZ tell me what outdrive I am dealing with here? Im trying to bring it back to life but ive never seen this one before.... its on a 1966 Formula 233 Thunderbird with a Chrysler 5.2L/318 V8... plz help

Back