MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Default 1959 Johnson 10hp seahorse help please! Spark plugs and rebuild question.

Hello, I have a 1959 johnson seahorse 10 hp outboard. Here is what I have replaced: New impeller kit, 2 new coils, 2 new condensors, working on rebuilding the carburetor, 2 spark plugs, 2 spark plug wires, and new gear lube. I set my points as best I could. I have no knowledge with motors but have read a ton about this motor but speak simple terms please. When I turn the magneto wheel to see if I can get a spark from the plugs there is no spark. The magneto wheel is difficult to turn, prior to the rebuild it was easier to turn. Not sure what I have done wrong. I know when I replaced the spark plug cords they were a little difficult to get the wire into the coil so maybe there isn't enough connection there? Not really sure, but I will greatly appreciate any and all advice. Once again speak in simple terms. Thanks!

Default Re: 1959 Johnson 10hp seahorse help please! Spark plugs and rebuild question.

Did you put the coils in the right position --------------You can not just put them in and tighten the screws.--------You can use the timing marks on the magneto plate and the flywheel to set the points.

Default Re: 1959 Johnson 10hp seahorse help please! Spark plugs and rebuild question.

I did just put the coils in and tighten the screws. Not sure how to set the coils in regards to the timing plate. Would you be able to break that down like you are talking to a 5th grader. Thanks for the help!! Any pics that might be helpful to me would be appreciated too!

Sorry, just look at where the coils mount , They must not stick out past the " bosses " where they mount.-----Factory had a special tool for that , so it is important to get this correct !!------No pictures for you.-------Go to the --------aomci -----------site lots of past questions and info on this subject there.

The mounting area should have an offset area. It may look like an angled area or be sharply defined. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bosses.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	3223 This is a sharply defined offset. The angled area would be just a notch at the top of the boss. If you don't have the tool (most of us don't) keep the edge of the coil at the inside edge of the offset. Turning the flywheel by hand may not spin it fast enough to get a spark. And yes that coil in the picture is badly cracked and needs to be replaced.