Logo

Resealing duoprop

tedm2

Contributing Member
I am resealing a Duo prop (DP-A1) and the manual says to coat the bearing box and o-rings whit a polymeric sealant part # 1141570. I am assuming there is an alternative that I can buy locally. Any suggestions??

Ted, the A drive transmission, and later, all use a gasket style shim to control main "drive" gear to "driven" gear pattern/gear contact.
This shim gasket need only be lightly coated with Perfect Seal, or equivilent, and do same to the single O-ring.
Also coat the cap screw threads to prevent thread corrosion.

You may be reading a section for the earlier transmission with the all steel bearing box and seperate aluminum clamping collar.

Couple of precautions for you:

The double lip eccentric piston seal is directional.... look closely at the instructions and it will show you which side is which. I use Perfect Seal here.

The large prop shaft seals install back to back..... oil side tension spring aiming towards oil...... water side tension spring aiming towards AFT.
The AFT prop shaft seals are each different. See instructions.... again, use Perfect Seal.

Wrap the prop shaft splines with a thin layer of masking tape before you re-assemble.... these seals can be delicate!

I use Perfect Seal on the two bearing carrier O-rings.

I also clean the area, and glue the lower pivot tube O-ring into the bore of the lower unit (the water passage).
This prevents it from shifting during assembly.

Do NOT forget your PDS bearings/seals.
PDS = primary drive shaft and is located inside of the flywheel cover.
I can't emphasize enough the importance of this.

I forgot to mention that I am resealing the lower unit, I have not gotten to the upper yet. Is the same product used?

I forgot to mention that I am resealing the lower unit, I have not gotten to the upper yet. Is the same product used?
Yes... it would be. I prefer the Quicksilver "Perfect Seal" product.

OK, there's a bit language difference here.... let me clarify, if I may... and especially if you are using a non-OEM manual.

The transmission main drive gear is housed in a "Bearing Box", and is typically referred to as the Bearing Box.

The lower unit prop shaft "Bearing Carrier" is sometimes called a "Bearing Box".
Typically this is referred to as the prop shaft "bearing carrier" because the term BB is used for the transmission........ but you may be seeing this called a Bearing Box.... depends on where you are reading it.

When you mentioned BB in post #1, I thought that you were referring to the transmission BB...... So forget my mention of the gasket style shims ..... it does not relate to the lower unit.

So.... a couple of things that will help you discuss this........, and that would be to clarify whether you are asking about the transmission (aka upper unit), or the lower unit.
This way were both on the same page.

Not that you asked, but an FYI in the event that you receive some bad information..... there is no change to any shim value when re-sealing the lower unit. You won't be close to removing any shims if the work is limited to seal replacement only.
Some shops want you to believe that this must be done be a certified v/p tech....
NOT SO if you are relatively mechanically inclined.

The "A" drive transmission is a little diffent story.
To access the main drive seal, the BB must be removed, and the male yoke removed from the BB and main drive gear.
If you suspect corrosion issues.... Stop and post so! (there is a caution that you may want to be aware of)

There will be a control crush sleeve that you'll be addressing.... be sure to follow the OEM procedure w/ re; to the rolling torque value, etc.
Again, no changes to the shim value are made, unless the need arises.
However, the BB rolling torque value must be addressed as to bring it back where it was previously.

It's all very doable..... just take your time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and advice. I have gotten much help refurbing my outdrives from reading the posts here. Thanks for the resource.

Ted, I got to thinking about the Bearing Box -vs- Prop Shaft Bearing Carrier verbiage.

A bearing box typically houses an entire gear or shaft or ???? and the supporting bearings.
IOW...., both bearings and the gear all in one integral unit.
The transmission main drive gear housing indeed does this..... so it fits the verbiage "Bearing Box".

Conversely, the prop shaft bearing carrier houses only 1 bearing (well, it also has a needle cage in it)..... and does not intrinsically support the forward portion of the bearing/shaft.
Bearings forward of this are supported via a location within the main housing.
I guess that's why we don't typically refer to this as a Bearing Box.... but rather a "Bearing Carrier".

Just talking out loud here. :)

Last edited:
Back