Logo

'81 omc has no power to prop

2ndrate1stmate

Hi all. I'm new here and hope some one can help.
I've been lucky for the past few years with my 3.0L / 400 outdrive but the luck finally ran out. I was heading back in on the weekend when the rpm's shot up and the boat stopped.
Checked the prop, wasn't spun. Checked the oil in the lower end, looked perfect with no metal filings. Then checked the oil in the upper end. Milky as can be. Don't know how the water got in or what caused the boat to lose power.
I'm hoping it might be something I could tackle myself. Any ideas on where to start? What's the best shop manual to get?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

Your sure the prop did not spin ?

The temp shot up ?

Boat in gear not running, turn the prop if the ball gears do not move and the prop moves the shafts went in the upper.

Prop turns, ball gears move then it's the coupler.

Thanks chiefalen, you nailed it first shot. When I turn the prop, the ball gear doesn't turn. It started to but I heard a click and it stopped. The shaft in the upper must have snapped. Any recommendation on which manual should I get? Can I remove the outdrive by myself?

Thanks again.

have a table or a large cooler or chair ready on the port side.

on a trailer lower the bow as far as it will go, and raise the drive 1/2 the way up.

Remove the very top bolts, and the exhaust and the lower will come down. place it on the table and tie it to the swim platform. be carefull of the cable don't pull on it plenty of play in the cable.

remove the 4 bolts facing u in the upper drive from the bottom and the whole waterpump and shaft will come out. you could raise the drive a little more to make it easy, i sit on a milk crate when i pull the pump.

Copied and pasted from another post i replied to

For a copy of the manual this site sells it.... the seloc.

Well I removed four bolts ( 3/8 X 1 1/2 ) from around the housing and one from in front of the anode ( 7/16 X 3 1/2 ?) but still couldn't get the lower to drop. My manual still hasn't arrived but I thought I'd take a look anyway. Am I missing some bolts somewhere or will it just be really stubborn?

On the very top of the drive where the dipstick is. There are 4 bolts / screws... remove them. The lower and the exhaust housing will come down in one unit. Be careful and don't pull on the cable.

Place it on the table or cooler right next to the drive port side.

Back