Logo

What type of gear lube to use?

wrench

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys....Wrench here..

Its been a pretty long time since I've been here.
I see that Guyg, Rod_Stewart, Bondo, Kghost and a few others are still all on the forum. Way to go guys for hanging in there and helping out the multitudes.

I've been stuck on a Tent trailer/camping forum for the past 2 years or so.

I have a question about gear lube for ya.

I have an Alpha 1 Gen 2 on my boat (2005). I've been using Quicksilver gear lube in my outdrive, but I'm wondering about what other guys are using. Any other brand that is just as good, but maybe a little less costly? I'm always open to suggestions.

Also...

When refilling my drive that has a remote gear lube monitor, the service manual says to pump it up from the bottom until it comes out the vent, (just like always), then remove the pump, plug the lower hole, and then pour lube into the remote reservoir up on top (which was previously emptied), until it also comes out the vent hole down below. Thats what I have been doing.

however...

I saw a youtube video of a guy refilling one and he pumped from the bottom until it came out the vent, installed the vent plug, and then kept pumping from the bottom until it showed up in the remote bottle. He then removed the pump and plugged the lower hole.Then he topped up the remote bottle from up on top. Does anybody else do it this way? Is it an acceptable way to do it? This may be easier than the way I do it. What do you think?

Wrench

Keep using the Quick Silver.

I saw a youtube video of a guy refilling one and he pumped from the bottom until it came out the vent, installed the vent plug, and then kept pumping from the bottom until it showed up in the remote bottle. He then removed the pump and plugged the lower hole.Then he topped up the remote bottle from up on top. Does anybody else do it this way? Is it an acceptable way to do it? This may be easier than the way I do it. What do you think?

This is how I do it. Just pump it slowly after you reinstall the vent screw and don't forget to remove the cap on the remote bottle.

Good to hear from you Wrench. Last July I spent a week at a fly-in fishing camp near Quetico park. We flew out of Atikokan, Ontario. Fantastic smallmouth bass, walleye and pike fishing.

Hey there Guy....

Great to hear from you.
I need to go to a fish camp like where you went. I hardly got to do any fishing at all this summer. It was a right off. I did a little fly-fishing this past weekend on Sunday, and struck out completely. Oh well, you know what they say about fishing, its not about catching fish, if it happens, its a bonus.

Gary

Wrench;
Good to see you back.
I fill from the lower til it comes out the vent, then I plug the vent and give it another 2-3 shots, then I plug the drain. Then I top up the monitor bottle. Pretty simple.

Rod

Forgot to say I always use Merc High Performance blue-green lube. Its a synthetic and though expensive, its only once a year.

Rod

I do it like the U tube video, your basically forcing all the air up thru the bottle eliminating the usual drive fart alpha's have.I also use the merc high performance gear lube, good stuff.
I try and wipe out the bottle some also to get rid of the crud on the bottom.

Contact CanoeCanadaOutfitter.com Atikokan, Ont Canada. You still have time. Take snow gear w/you. Fishing is fantastic. We caught several 18"-22" smallmouth bass every day. Several bass were 23"-24" that week. The walleyes were fat and delicious!

Hi Rod....Good to hear from you. Hope all has been well since we last talked.
And also to gl115...

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will try and do all the lube install from the bottom this weekend when I'm doing the winterizing. Usually I follow the method that the service manual says, but I do get the big air bubble stuck in there and wind up topping it up with quite a bit more lube when it burps out, as gl115 said.

Thanks Guy for the fishing trip idea, but there is no more time this year :( I wish there was more time, but....., I dream of fish like that.

Back