Logo

50hp force motor will start but skips

keistone

I have a 1989 50hp force motor it turns over alot before starting. After it starts it skips real bad and will not always stay running. I have checked fuel and spark both are fine I have not check compression yet, but plain to. Can anyone tell me what else to be looking for.Any help would be greatful.

I have a question. I have a 1986 Johnson 50HP and it seems "to me" that it is having a fuel delivery problem. Some times it is hard to crank and when at idle it fine. I put it in gear and it starts to stall out, kinda jump like it gets gas then get deprived of it, and just seems to be kinda starving for gas or maybe bad gas. I checked the plugs and they are fine. I removed the lower carb and it seems to be clean as a whistle, no restrictions and the float moves freely. I havent removed the upper carb yet. If someone could maybe point me in the right direction of where I need to go next I would really appreciate it.

You should start your own thread in the Johnson Forum.
Take the fuel pump apart and see if the diaphragm is good.
Do a compression test.

Im new to this forum thing and wasnt sure how or what i needed to do. I started one like you said right after I posted in here. A compression test has been done by the owner before and he said that the top was 137 and the bottom was 138. I saw on another place where someone said the exact same as you did with checking the fuel pump. I will check the pump today. What other areas would I need to check other than that if the pump and diaphragm turns out good?

The "other guy" said the comp was good???
NEVER believe the "other guy" !!!

Check the compression, then the tank for water.
The inline connectors can go bad.

Yeah i was kinda leary about believing the other guy about the compression being good. That was going to be my next step after re-building the fuel pump, changing the gas and replacing the fuel bulb tonight. What are the specs for the compression that says that it is good? I really appreciate your help Jerryjerry05

Different gauges read differently.
The results should be real close.
Within 5-10# of each other.
My gauge could read 145 your could read 120??

I did a compression test and the top cylinder was 130 and the bottom was 135. I got it running in a 55gal barrel of water with the hose keeping the tank full and it seemed to run good. It had a good stream coming from the "pee" hole, it wasnt a hard strong stream but it was steady and seemed like it was getting good pressure. I am going to take it on the water tonight and see how it runs under a load.

Back