MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Click for Gray Marine manuals!

Default removing tranny from 109

folks- trying to remove the transmission from a 1958 109. any hints on how to get it dissengaged???-thanks/dave

Default Re: removing tranny from 109

Not sure what you mean by "disengaged"? It is a pretty easy job on both the Paragon hydraulic and manual versions. Remove the bolts holding it to the rear bell housing and it pulls right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned L View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "disengaged"? It is a pretty easy job on both the Paragon hydraulic and manual versions. Remove the bolts holding it to the rear bell housing and it pulls right off.
    thats what i thought. but,...... it doesn't pull right off and i'm scared to pry.

There is a bolt under the inspection cover. If your helpin Ken that tranny is headed to me

yea, i was asking for ken. it's been a long time since i pulled one. i don't even remember there being a bolt- good luck with tranny-dave

I am in the process of removing my transmission from my 1956 Gray Marine 100 from my 1956 Lyman 18.3' "Runabout".

It's my first extensive engine rebuild attempt. Got the head and exhaust manifold already off, and already hot tanked and cleaned, primed and Repainted with Gray Marine "Phantom Green" (from Van Ness Engineering) Now I want to remove the transmission.

I have removed all the bolts, and tried some light prying. to have the trannie slide back. (I have a sturdy soft landing prepared only inches below it.) The only problem, is that that after the bolts easily came out (they were still well greased), the trannie is not yielding off the block with some light prying with a stiff putty knife at the seal.

I can get more agressive with my prying with a more persuasive sharpened cats paw pry bar, but I don't want to break anything, and am wondering if I should have anything internally disconnected from inside the inspection plate. I can enclose illustrative photos if necessary. -Alan Briggs, Canajoharie, NY mebriggs@roadrunner.com

Never mind. I got the transmission off myself tonight after a little PB Blaster soak time.

Good news!

By the way, from the Gray manual, mine is a Capital Gear, not a Paragon model