Logo

454's-Tried the 1500 RPM speed, trawler speed and slow troll-Going back letting um rip.

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
With the price of fuel, I thought I'd try running the Crusaders at fuel saving speeds. It doesn't work for me. If I can't hear those engines purr, feel the power surge on plane and see the wake busting behind me, I might just as well sell her and buy a row boat. If I have to cut back on something, it's not going to be on the throttles.
Nightstalker

Do you have q-jets? Do you have a gas flow scanner? I have 454 q-jet set up on my 10000 pound 3100 Tiara. After I purr (3200 rpm) a while to get on a full plane, I can back down (2900 rpm) and add a little trim tab. Flowscan confirms best there, but have to watch I don't fall off the plane (I see the drop in speed and same gas flow) due to the conditions in the water (tide and/or chop). I see between .8 MPG at best and .6 MPG if not careful.

On another note, I gave up all alcohol in January and that saves me more then gas money for the year. It also allows me to work on projects at night after work so that increases my productivity which increase asset values. Now if I could get the alcohol out of my gas...

Do you have q-jets? Do you have a gas flow scanner? I have 454 q-jet set up on my 10000 pound 3100 Tiara. After I purr (3200 rpm) a while to get on a full plane, I can back down (2900 rpm) and add a little trim tab. Flowscan confirms best there, but have to watch I don't fall off the plane (I see the drop in speed and same gas flow) due to the conditions in the water (tide and/or chop). I see between .8 MPG at best and .6 MPG if not careful.

On another note, I gave up all alcohol in January and that saves me more then gas money for the year. It also allows me to work on projects at night after work so that increases my productivity which increase asset values. Now if I could get the alcohol out of my gas...

Mine are 454 CID (FWC) 350 HP. I get about the same MPG on my Luhr's as you do. I usually run her at 3200 RPM'S also. I know what you mean about being carefull with the throttles. She comes off plane quickly if I go below 2900 RPM'S.
Nightstalker

Hi
New to the forum and to my new boat, I now have a 43 wellcraft with twin 454 crusaders 1988 with 950 hours on them. Question is I want to change the oil to a good quality oil for engines with these hours to help them last, any suggestions would be great and anything else I should know about these engines would also be appreciated, thanks

Hi
New to the forum and to my new boat, I now have a 43 wellcraft with twin 454 crusaders 1988 with 950 hours on them. Question is I want to change the oil to a good quality oil for engines with these hours to help them last, any suggestions would be great and anything else I should know about these engines would also be appreciated, thanks
Check your first post related to your question concerning oil. There are a couple of responses that you may find helpful.
Nightstalker

Back