Logo

115 Alarm and Limp Mode?

captb

Contributing Member
Riding this weekend an alarm started sounding and the motor started shaking and cutting out. I can only think its the low oil alarm, but I premix the proper ratio since the oil tank and pump have been removed.

Water at tell tale was cool and had good pressure so I don't think it was an overheat alarm.

Any ideas? a remedy for a few times was trimming the motor up and then down, but that didn't work the final time and the alarm sounded all the way to the ramp. It did quit when I motored up onto the roller trailer.

Maybe someone else has run into this and can offer some insight.

thanks, B

This is freaky that I have searched for over 3 weeks for answers when Im having the exact same problem. Can you email me at [email protected] I want to know what you have done to yours as possible solutions, maybe we can fix this on both our boats. I have a 1992 Yamaha 115 V4

I can run 3900 rpm all day but if I go 4000or more I get the same alarm and miss until I stop for a couple min then alarm go off and she runs fine, thought it might be heating up but the pisser is flowing fine, IDEAS???

The "pisser" flowing fine only shows that the water pump is working. There is a good chance the water bypass valve or "pop it" valve is not working correctly. If the valve spring is weak or the valve is not able to close all the way the engine will start to run hot.

Riding this weekend an alarm started sounding and the motor started shaking and cutting out. I can only think its the low oil alarm, but I premix the proper ratio since the oil tank and pump have been removed.

Water at tell tale was cool and had good pressure so I don't think it was an overheat alarm.

Any ideas? a remedy for a few times was trimming the motor up and then down, but that didn't work the final time and the alarm sounded all the way to the ramp. It did quit when I motored up onto the roller trailer.

Maybe someone else has run into this and can offer some insight.

thanks, B

Your water jacket may need cleaning.

Can someone explain to me why a bad battery connection would cause the alarm to sound? The buzzer is a simple device with 2 wires. 1 is 12V and the other is ground. When you turn the key on it feeds 12V to 1 side of the buzzer. The negative side of the buzzer is where it get the signal from the low oil or the temperature sender. Both of these are simple switch. They are normally open. when the oil is low it connects. Same with the temp sender. When the sensor senses the temperature above its limit it turns the switch on. One side of the switch is connects to ground. So when you have low oil or over heat it will send ground to the negative side of the buzzer and it will sound. If you have a bad battery connection you won't get 12V on the other side. This means the buzzer will never sound.

Back to your problem. When is the last time you change your water pump? If you don't remember when then replace it before you blow the head gasket or damage the power head.

Can someone explain to me why a bad battery connection would cause the alarm to sound? The buzzer is a simple device with 2 wires. 1 is 12V and the other is ground. When you turn the key on it feeds 12V to 1 side of the buzzer. The negative side of the buzzer is where it get the signal from the low oil or the temperature sender. Both of these are simple switch. They are normally open. when the oil is low it connects. Same with the temp sender. When the sensor senses the temperature above its limit it turns the switch on. One side of the switch is connects to ground. So when you have low oil or over heat it will send ground to the negative side of the buzzer and it will sound. If you have a bad battery connection you won't get 12V on the other side. This means the buzzer will never sound.

Back to your problem. When is the last time you change your water pump? If you don't remember when then replace it before you blow the head gasket or damage the power head.

Because intermittent power on the Yamaha system will set off alarms and send the engine into limp mode.

I have on parked at my dock and it was doing the same thing. Bad main fuse holder on the engine.

You want your connection to make sure the power supply is constant or you will be chasing a ghost alarm.

I didn't ask about the limp mode. I just ask a simple question with the alarm. If there is no power to the alarm how is it going to beep?

Back to the original problem. You said you removed the oil tank. Did you tape up the lose wire that goes to the buzzer. If you did then the only (ground) input left to the buzzer is your temp sender. Remove the cowl and check how hot is your power head when the alarm sounds. You can disconnect the wire from the temp sender just to check for a short somewhere else. If it stops then either your temp sender is bad or your motor is over heating. GL

OK im going to throw my hat in the ring \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\YOU CAN NOT REMOVE OIL TANK SENSOR AND LITTLE BLACK BOX MOTOR WILL GO INTO LIMP ///////////// Why would you disconnect the most reliable oil injection system on the market????? carben build up from over oiling on pre mix causes the piston rings to stick [build up in the ring lands]and score.If you must..... put little black box and oil tank float back on the motor turn float upside down ty wrap to hold in this position the computer now thinks the oil tank is full. I would advise you look into buying a gallon of YAMAHAS ring free. For those of you that tossed little black box and float, i am working with the engineers at CDI at this point 4 circuits on the computer will require resistors of unnamed value[they may develop and market a plug and play module] ill post any developments. VRO aka VARIED RATIO OIL 100:1 at idle 50:1 at WOT the motor is provided the propper amount througout its rpm range with out the oil slick at the boat ramp.

OK im going to throw my hat in the ring <A>\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\YOU</A> CAN NOT REMOVE OIL TANK SENSOR AND LITTLE BLACK BOX MOTOR WILL GO INTO LIMP ///////////// Why would you disconnect the most reliable oil injection system on the market????? carben build up from over oiling on pre mix causes the piston rings to stick [build up in the ring lands]and score.If you must..... put little black box and oil tank float back on the motor turn float upside down ty wrap to hold in this position the computer now thinks the oil tank is full. I would advise you look into buying a gallon of YAMAHAS ring free. For those of you that tossed little black box and float, i am working with the engineers at CDI at this point 4 circuits on the computer will require resistors of unnamed value[they may develop and market a plug and play module] ill post any developments. VRO aka VARIED RATIO OIL 100:1 at idle 50:1 at WOT the motor is provided the propper amount througout its rpm range with out the oil slick at the boat ramp. p.s. replace computer with c series computer.

Back