Logo

70hp johnson, losing pressure in bulb

timmccarty8

I have a 70hp johnson that is losing pressure in the bulb. I took the gas line off and there is no wholes anywhere in the hose or bulb. After a few minutes the gas that was in the bulb runs out and the engin shuts off unless I manually pump the bulb again. About that same time the "no oil" light comes on, not the low oil but the no oil comes on. I can turn the engine off and immediately back on and the oil light goes away for another few minutes. Are these problems related or can anyone help me out and point me in a direction towards figuring this out. Thanks

What is the model number of your motor? that will make it so we can answer your question. Boat tank or portable tank, quick disconnect hook ups or hard mounted? help us help you.

At least it must be a VRO engine.
Most likely the air motor in the pump does not work as both oil and fuel fails.
Parts to repair the pump are available, another option is to install a fuel pump only and pre-mix.
Start the engine with hood off and listen. You should hear a 'click' from the VRO pump about every 20-30 seconds when on idle.

its a johnson 70hp model(J70PLSSD). The tank is a plastic tank held in place by steel brackets. The end of the hose that goes into the tank is secured by a hose clamp, and the engine end is a clip that self locks and push button release.

do as Haffiman37 said, it sounds like VRO. if you do any kind of testing make sure you put 2 cycle oil in the gas before you run the motor.

it has a seperate oil tank and bulb to the motor, sorry this might be dumb, but when you say i should add oil when testing what do you mean?

if you are getting a no oil alarm, you need to add oil to the gas tank, so you can run the motor without locking it up from not having oil. it is a 50 to 1 mix, figure out how much gas is in the tank then put in enough oil to run the motor. You can buy oil fillers with marks on the side to show you how much oil for the amount of gas .

Back