Logo

Force 50hp - Starts great cold. Have to throw in gear to get started when warm

fickesd

I have a 1987 Force 50 outboard motor. It starts perfectly when I go to start it after it's been sitting for a few hours. However after I take it out for a spin and shut off the engine it's hard to get it started (while still warm) without throwing the motor into gear. Could this be an issue with my air/fuel mixture and if so, how do I adjust this on my carburetor? If not, what else can it be and what can I do to fix?

hard to start while still warm,without throwing it in gear??Does this mean you start it in gear?When you have trouble starting it,Does it smoke real bad when it does start,If so then it is more than likly flooding!!Need better info.

When it's warm, I turn the key over (while in nuetral) and the starter is turning the flywheel, but it doesn't fire and start. So while I'm turning the key, I throw it into either forward or reverse and the engine will fire and run just fine. I do notice the engine seems weaker than it should for being a 50hp driving a 16ft pontoon at full throttle. So I don't know if that helps diagnose the problem. I don't think there is any abnormal smoking at start or while it's running. From what I'm reading, I'm wondering if it's running lean and therefore when I throw it in gear it's pushing more fuel into the carburetor and giving it a ratio that is capable to fire and start. If that is the case, I'm not sure what screw I turn to adjust the mixture.

Check your neutral safety switch if you have one,it shouldnt start in gear.Thats the only thing i can tink of rite now,but i will think about it and ask a buddy of mine that has a force engine.

Check and see if carburetors are leaking internally------------What happens when you operate the manual fuel pump , hot and cold !!----------------Are you pumping a lot of fuel by hand ??-------Does the bulb go hard ???-------------Has the waterpump been checked recently???

In response to Ciscokid, the neutral safety switch still works because if it's not in neutral when I start turning the key, the starter won't energize. So I put it in neutral, turn the key, and then throw into forward or reverse will still turning the key and then it starts.

In response to racerone, how do I know if the carburetor is leaking internally? I usually pump the bulb. It gets hard, but not rock hard, sometimes after I run for a bit, I check and it's softer again. Could I be getting air into it? I notice the connection at the tank is not seated all the way, but is still connected. Should I try holding it tight while turning the key? Waterpump has not been checked recently.

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming

The only way i know how to check carbs leaking internally,Is to rais your engine up and pump your fuel bulb.while doing this look up inside your carbs and see if you see gas flowing,and if so you have a float hung open.If this is the case,then i would just go ahead and rebuild carbs and get it over with.Mabe racerone has another way of checking it.

Back