Logo

63 9.5 evinrude forward prop issues

joe sip

I have a 9.5 that goes great in reverse at shift speed and under throttle runs well.Problem is in forward goes great into gear
and trolls perfect when you throttle up it seems like it shifts out of gear. Engine revs up but no go,then when you throttle back down it trolls fine gear shift stays in gear and does not pop out It ran fine a week ago ANY HELP?

Check gear oil first....check linkage to be sure it hasn't slipped...if both are fine, suspect a worn clutch dog.

Hi,
I have the same problem with a 3.5 (yeah I know, people call it egg-beater!) though it doesn't happen all the time, only sometimes: going on full throttle it'll rave up but no accelleration, throttling down it seems like it "catches" again and off I go.
Now this egg beater is pretty simple, only forward gear. Wondering about the clutch dog bobbyc mentioned so same question also from me - is it hard to find, check and replace?
cheers

.... which could say a lot about joe-sip's problem since I have the same with no clutch dog involved :confused:

I seem to have some kind of a clutch inside the propeller, I suppose that could cause something like that? looks like I need a special tool to take it out ...

I looked in parts diagram and clutch dog is in the lower end .Part not available from evinrude but they have a replacement for 120.00. A lot of coin for such a small part.How do u determine what is worn out without the new part in your hands

Lots of people know what the parts should look like !!-------------Take it apart --------check condition of bushing above the pinion gear and post pictures of clutch dog edges and forward gear edges.---------------------Good information will get you good answers.

The 9.5 was first available in 1964...check your motor numbers to be sure of the year before doing anything...Replacing the clutch dog requires a fair degree of mechanical skill, good tools and a repair manual...a skilled mechanic could do the job in about 2 hours...labor rates in this area are about $100.00 an hour. Many shops will not work on motors that old...Only if the motor is a low hours, fresh water only motor would it be worth the expense...once again, check the linkage...forcing it into reverse can cause it to get out of adjustment and not fully engage when put in forward. As to Windschief's problem...it is almost certainly a bad propellor bushing causing the slippage...replacing the prop will cure the problem.

Put the engine in forward, block the prop with a piece of wood and try to turn the flywheel.
Most likely a slipping prop hub.

Back