Logo

2003 Mercury 15 HP 4 Stroke Stahling Out

djoherl

Hello,
I have a Mercury 15 HP 4 stroke that was brought down from Wisconson to Florida about a month ago. The engine ran fine in Wisconsin, but the two times that I have taken the boat out in salt water it stahls out after about 5 minutes in the water. The first time I took the boat out I didn't put fuel stablizer in the tank, but the second time I took the boat out I did. The boat seems to run fine with the choke on, but when I turn the choke off it stahls out.

I recently had the brain of the engine replaced, because the engine shut-off button would not turn the engine off. I was hoping that this would fix the stahling problem, but it unfortunately did not. Thanks, Doug

Last edited:
Hi,
Refer to user name as far as these motors are concerned but did you take the motor from a high elevation to sea level?Also the difference in humidity will affect the performance,never been to Florida but I hear it's got high humidity.

Check the fuel line between the tank and the engine. If it is the White Mercury or Quick Silver line, chances are the liner inside the line has collapsed. Remove the line and take a look inside by cutting it open. Replace the line with the same type. Westmarine should have this line.

Hello,
I have a Mercury 15 HP 4 stroke that was brought down from Wisconson to Florida about a month ago. The engine ran fine in Wisconsin, but the two times that I have taken the boat out in salt water it stahls out after about 5 minutes in the water. The first time I took the boat out I didn't put fuel stablizer in the tank, but the second time I took the boat out I did. The boat seems to run fine with the choke on, but when I turn the choke off it stahls out.

I recently had the brain of the engine replaced, because the engine shut-off button would not turn the engine off. I was hoping that this would fix the stahling problem, but unfortunately it did not. Thanks, Doug

Back