Logo

Milky oil

debpli

Our 7.4 ltr Merc has milky oil. We were out last weekend and the power steering pulley broke which caused the engine to overheat. We had the pulley replaced. We had to drive the boat to the loading dock to trailer it home. We noticed after we got it home that the oil was milky. We drained the old oil and put synthetic oil in. Without starting it up, the first dip with the dip stick pulled milky oil again. We are not sure what to do? If this is maybe a head gasket, or if in the spring when we launched the boat, the drain plug wasn't in and the motor compartment filled at least half way up the motor. Luckly we trailered it and got it dried out, however, we never checked the oil at that time. Could it be possible that the milky oil could be caused by the drain plug incident and it isn't a bad head gasket? If so, how can we tell? Do we keep changing the oil until there is no milky oil residue?

Appreciate any help..Terry

Don't know if it's my puter or what but when i wanted to type after posting the link the letters stayed underlined. Hence the added new post to the thread.

Click on the link pressure test block.

Will show you how then get back to us.

You didn't check the oil all summer after the rain problem ?

I check the oil everytime i get on the boat, off the boat. Even when i get on to do something electrical.

It's like a o. c .d compulsion. I do it with all the cars, lawnmowers, snowblowers. Really maybe i should seek professional help.

Terry to answer your question,

it sounds like you may need a proffesionaly trained person to look at this. It sounds a bit out of your expertise level.

Do you have engine experince? Can you do a compression check?

When a motor gets water in the oil it can take 3-4 oil changes before it is all gone ( running engine for about an hour between changes and changing the filter each time) so using a very cheap oil for the 3-4 changes the when you feel the oil is clean replace with the proper oil and filter for normal use.

It sound like it was not your power steering belt that broke, it was your engine mounted water pump belt that broke. That would explain the loss of raw water to cool the engine. Also if the motor got too hot you could have easily caused a head gasket to burn thru.....

some more diagnostics are needed.

Thanks for the direction. Also, not a marine expert. Just like to drive and play in 'em. Well after running the engine, the oil seems better more clear - hum...not sure how to explain that, other than that might be good news that is was the water problem and not a head gasket problem. Was wondering, while going through these oil changes, I am short on my synthetic oil blend (Sierra) can I top off or mix in with regular 10 w 30 oil?

Appreciate your insight..Terry

"I check the oil everytime i get on the boat, off the boat. Even when i get on to do something electrical.

It's like a o. c .d compulsion. I do it with all the cars, lawnmowers, snowblowers. Really maybe i should seek professional help."

I do the same thing, OCD at times can be good,

That Ghost is a very funny guy.

I hear nothing but steers and queers live in Ma is that true Ghost ?

I don't swing that way and i will understand if you confirm that you are indeed queer.

That way we will all understand why you keep sticking your finger up or @ss, or such crap comes out your mouth. See with your finger up your @ss all the time your couldn't crap out your @ss got to come out your mouth.

You forgot to finish spelling the " I hear nothing but steers and queers live in Ma ((Manalapan, nj,)) is that true Ghost ?""

Yes it is very true!! You should know it is your home town now isn't it???

For the record you were thrown out of a similar web site due to the SH!T that came out of your mouth and you are very close to bieng thrown out of this one due to your cronic abuse of both unitellagable posts and your cpoy and paste of others due to your lack of personal knowledge and skill.
Same questions same answers to virtually EVERY post regardless of issue...

Time will tell

Oh and maybe it would be appropriate for you to keep that fat F'n finger up your ass so as little SH!T as possible comes out and stinks up this web site as has been done to other sites...................................

Chief,
I would not be the least bit surprised to find that "most" of the knowledgeable people on this site feel the same way that Kghost does but sit back in the woods hoping he can get you to back off. I for one feel exactly as he does and find your "canned" responses to all problems very tiresome.I shudder to think how much time some have wasted listening to your advice. You are not a mechanic and yet you carry on like you know more than the people who are actually qualified. For the life of me, I can`t understand why the webmasters have not kicked your butt out by now !!

i guess 45 years working on anything that fly's both jet engines and props, plus cars, small engines, boats, and diesels doesn't qualify me as a mechanic.

A person asks a question, it's up to them to use the info given here as any other site that people who ask a question and gets a reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
45 years of working on anything does not make one an expert at anything and it shows.

From your answers (most not your own), your total lack of command of the english language and not the spelling it is apparent at least to some that what ever you did for 45 years not much rubbed off.........

""A person asks a question, it's up to them to use the info given here as any other site that people who ask a question and gets a reply.""

Most people who ask questions are hoping to receive a proffessional answer not some "yah whoo gee billy bob" response that is both unreadable and incoherent that makes no sense what so ever!!!

Besides there would be no way that you (one person) could possible have a suggestion/answer to as many posts as you respond to. No one who participates here has that much knowledge. This is a collectiive of people who know, NOT ONE and definately NOT YOU!

ok I changed my bearings and seals in the bottom of the merc 80 leg thinking that should solve me milky oil problem...... nope! where else can the water get in ivhave a shop manual but still can't figure out wheres water coming from ......I also don't have reverse gear for some reason even thou I did check for backlash and installed the same as before .....help

ok I changed my bearings and seals in the bottom of the merc 80 leg(red band) thinking that should solve my milky oil problem...... nope! where else can the water get in i have a shop manual but still can't figure out wheres water coming from ......I also don't have reverse gear for some reason even thou I did check for backlash and installed the same as before .....help

ok frustrated with this forum......thought I was posting a new thread but I'm still here arrrrrr I've been on other forums and I can't even find a spot to start another thread on this one

Back