Logo

1992 Crusader 454 - no fuel to engine

S

suite64

New member - soooo, stuck in river waiting for BoatUS tow. Trying to kill time and do troubleshooting. Motors were running fine, then one started to sputter then died. Shortly after same with other engine. Have about 35 gals gas in each tank. When turning over engine and pumping throttle, NO gas in carb. took off fuel line near tank, bone dry. Tried resetting fuel pump fuse. No luck.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

David
Suite 64
1964 CC Commander

1) Does each engine run off its own tank? If so, the chance of both engines having a fuel problem at the same time is remote
2) Is there a "cross over" valve that allows both engines to run off 1 tank? If so, and it was left open with both tank valves open you could draw all the fuel out of one tank until your sucking air. This could cause your no fuel to both engines, with fuel in the other tank
3) Do you have the ability to "stick" the tanks to verify fuel level?

Thanks for the quick response - under tow back to marina right now

Each engine runs off own tank

There is a cross over and it's open

Each tank has approx 35-40 gal (stick tested)

My 1992's have mechanical pumps. Since this MAY not be original configuration, you may just have a 12V feed issue. Check it with your multi-meter

Assuming is a Crusader Re-power since the boat is a 1964 cc. I would say he has Generation 6 big blocks with electric fuel pumps that are kept live after cranking by the Alt.

Back at the dock - so got both engines running. I think, at this point, what must be happening is the electric fuel pumps are sucking air thru the the fuel line that goes to the genset because when I closed the valve to the genset and cranked over each engine they started right up. Thank God for BoatUS - just save myself $450. Well, it's late, so I'm going to hit the sack and confirm diagnosis tomorrow am. Thanks again for the quick response.

David

Ingesting air is a good possibility. Another sneaky way this can happen (though statistically not probable with two separate fuel systems) is if you develop a crack somewhere along the length of the pick-up tube within the fuel tank. Engine will run fine until the level of the fuel drops below the site of the crack, from that point on you are sucking air and the engine falters.

You're close. The gen-set dip tube in the tank doesn't go anywhere near the bottom as does the one that feeds the main engine--that's so the gen set dies--out of gas--long before the main engine.

That said, I see no reason why the feed systems should not be totally separated frpom each other.

Jeff

Back